Am I the only one who's been careless enough to get my hand in the way of the beam? I can't find anyone else admitting to it, so maybe it's just me.
Obviously my own stupid fault. I'm making a Z table for my Chinese eBay special and I wanted to measure how close the end of the beam's travel was from a bracket. I'd removed the existing table so I thought I'd hold a piece of wood in place and measure where the dot was burned. I forgot that the beam doesn't just magically come out of the lens and had my hand in the way of the unfocussed incoming beam.
The sudden pain wasn't that bad. I initially thought I'd had a static electric shock. Until the smell like burning hair of course. Had it been a focussed beam or more than just a very brief flash it obviously could have been a lot worse.