lowering focal point to clear gantry?

Discussions on optics for laser cutter/engravers

lowering focal point to clear gantry?

Postby gene » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:14 pm

Is there a way to lower the focal point of laser/cutting depth on the Z plane? I'm trying to do some gun stock checkering for rifle stocks and the gantry sides are in the way on the X plane (basically the stocks are too large to fit). Y plane is blocked on the laser tube side as well. Are there different focal length lens options that would lower the focal length down by two to three inches so I could remove the enclosure sides and allow the gun stock access to be positioned along the X plane in the cutting area without hitting the gantry?

Rifle stock length is about 36"
gene

Re: lowering focal point to clear gantry?

Postby BenJackson » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:16 am

Lower the lens (any distance). This would be pretty easy to accomplish with a lathe.

Get a longer focal length lens. I'm not sure about 3 more inches, though.
BenJackson

Postby gene » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:22 pm

BenJackson wrote:Lower the lens (any distance). This would be pretty easy to accomplish with a lathe.

Get a longer focal length lens. I'm not sure about 3 more inches, though.

I figured I might have to turn something if there wasn't a longer focal point lens available to swap in. Guess that would be the easiest thing as I have a small cnc metal lathe that would do it.
gene

Postby BenJackson » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:06 pm

If you are using the LightObject "kit" lens assembly it should be pretty easy. The assembly is actually threaded together onto the mounting plate (and then the lens retainer threads on to the bottom). You can just make a new "middle" that's longer.
BenJackson

Return to Optics and Lasers