ORD Bot 3D Printer

Post your build logs here

Re: ORD Bot 3D Printer

Postby Ambient » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:05 pm

Thanks. I suspected the two Z axis were driven together and did not require two channels. I just wasn't sure if the Polulu boards would handle two at once or if I would need one board per motor and they would just share commands from the Arduino.

I am thinking of running the Hadron off of a PC-104 I have kicking around and just remote into it (unless it is more worth it just using the uSD expansion). Good/bad idea?
Ambient

Postby bdring » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:11 pm

The SD controller is pretty much of a novelty in my opinion. Unless you have a display, buttons, etc, it is not going to be useful. It is nice to be able monitor and control the printer using a computer, mouse and nice display. A simple netbook level computer can do that for you.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby Ambient » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:12 pm

Forgot about all the little extras you need for the SD option. I will probably just use a RasberryPi or the PC-104 and remote into it (could use tablet or my good PC). I could even set up the PC with a simple web page I can get to and push buttons on to load/monitor jobs with my phone or tablet...that would be really cool. Does that sound feasible? I am more hardware and embedded software oriented, so I don't know if it is possible to do the web page idea. But it would be awesome.

My goal is to make the Hadron 100% portable with the PSU, PC (wireless), spool, etc all mounted together.

BTW, our hero posted the final prices in the ORD section! I can't wait till the long-lead items come in.
Ambient

Postby orcinus » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:11 am

bdring wrote:The entire RAMPS kit with drivers and Arduino is $200 from Ulimachine.

$160, unless you're afraid of a little soldering.

Anyways, i've been considering giving this a go:
http://www.3dprinting-r2c2.com/

Less support, slightly harder to tweak and fiddle with initially, but you *do* get a proper IDE and debugging abilities, unlike with Arduino based solutions. And most importantly, it's wicked fast.
orcinus

Postby bdring » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:43 am

I bought a Arduino ADK a while back to see if I could have my Android run the Bot. Sadly....good luck finding a phone that supports it. I have access to three Droid phones, all supposedly with the right OS level, but no luck.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby mxk » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:46 am

bjoerngiesler wrote:I'm planning to get an arcol.hu hot end (V4 is very short, comparable to the MakerBot extruder / hot end combination) and a Wade extruder, then print a Greg's w/guidler to replace the Wade. So a Wade mount would be a most welcome addition for me.

FWIW, my arcol.hu hot end is longer than my Makergear and J-head hot ends. I think its even longer than the Mendel-Parts v6 hot-end.
mxk

Postby bjoerngiesler » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:29 am

mxk wrote:FWIW, my arcol.hu hot end is longer than my Makergear and J-head hot ends. I think its even longer than the Mendel-Parts v6 hot-end.

Is it a V3 or a V4? The V4 is significantly shorter (http://wiki.arcol.hu/v4-announcement).
bjoerngiesler

Postby mxk » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:57 am

bjoerngiesler wrote:
mxk wrote:FWIW, my arcol.hu hot end is longer than my Makergear and J-head hot ends. I think its even longer than the Mendel-Parts v6 hot-end.

Is it a V3 or a V4? The V4 is significantly shorter (http://wiki.arcol.hu/v4-announcement).

Wow. That is quite a bit smaller! I've got the v3, have had it for about a year or so. I'm glad to see that it looks like he's going towards a groovemount system, they've been great for me.
mxk

Postby Gijs » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:51 pm

orcinus wrote:
Anyways, i've been considering giving this a go:
http://www.3dprinting-r2c2.com/

Less support, slightly harder to tweak and fiddle with initially, but you *do* get a proper IDE and debugging abilities, unlike with Arduino based solutions. And most importantly, it's wicked fast.

cool. very tempting to go that route. nice specs
Gijs

Postby Oli » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:18 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by Oli on Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oli

PreviousNext

Return to Build Logs