ORD Bot 3D Printer

Post your build logs here

Re: ORD Bot 3D Printer

Postby bdring » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:44 am

BTW: A friend has a huge refrigerator sized old 3D printer (not build area). It might be a Stratasys. At first glace, it looked like it used a wire cable based H-Bot
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby frob » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:57 am

Neat! that Hbot video is impressive - Looks like a clever idea, if there's an easy way to turn a moving motor into a stationary one i'm all for it. I'm not sure i completely understand how it works, but it seems to me if its really only a single long belt, then there's no way the drive belt can support the gantry and hold it rigidly perpendicular to the side rails - i.e.resist against racking like the moving knot cable stay arrangement does?
I can see it working as advertised in the "X" configuration, since it is naturally cantilevered, but with a gantry "H" system i see possible issues with racking unless i'm missing something obvious, which is a distinct possibility

If the Zaxis getting out of square is as much an issue or annoyance as you say, then in my mind that would tip the balance in favor of trading the 2nd motor+related bits for a pair of timing pulleys and belt, or equivalent even if the cost is a wash either way. But if you keep the 2nd lead screw that way you'd have to replace the motor with a bearing.

Of course never having played with any of these things myself yet, this is pure speculation on my part :)
frob

State of the bot

Postby bdring » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:00 am

Here are some recent pictures.

Here is the front. I have the Y removed in this picture, but you can see the motor moved to the back. it makes the front less busy and allows the use of a common motor plate because you don't need to clear the front foot. If you look carefully on the left side top of gantry, you can see how the limit switch works. The set screw can easily slide to any location. There is also a limit switch on the Z min too, but no set screw yet. You gotta love t-slot for free feature like this. The right side gantry plate is the same part as the left, so you could move the switches or even the motor to that side. There is really a low unique part count on this design.

ord_bot_21.JPG

Here is a detail of the motor mount showing the NEMA 14-17 pattern. It is just angled slots where the 14 is at one end and the 17 is at the other end of the slots. This is a 14 shown. The slots are little hard to see on the black on black.

ord_bot_14_17.JPG

This shows the electronics. The power supply is mounted remotely like a laptop power supply. The wires are laced to the handle plate and enter the extrusions. The springs handle the cable management. The limit switches are not wired yet, but the rest is fully functional.

ord_bot_22.JPG
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby canadianavenger » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:33 am

Nicely done, probably one of the cleanest/neatest looking 3D printers I've seen to date.

Any chance I could get a IGES or STEP model of the assembly as you have it, as a seed for my H Bot version? Would save me a ton of time on all the connecting bits. [native solidworks or solidedge files would be even better, if either of those are the CAD package you are using]
canadianavenger

Postby bdring » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:07 am

This STEP file is about 99% what the final version will be.

http://www.buildlog.net/documents/d30050_stp.zip
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby Pazu » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:10 am

Looking fantastic. Is the build area still 135mm square as you originally posted? Can you give a quick measurement of the current size of the printer now? I'm intending to build this with a elongated Y-axis.
Pazu

Postby bwevans » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:14 am

After working with my students tonight to finish off the wiring on our makergear prusa I must say there is virtue in not having that rats nest of a wiring nightmare that is the reprap wiring. You have done an excellent job all around!

B
bwevans

Postby bdring » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:41 am

Yes, that is the build area. I have an old MB cupcake heated bed that is about 100mm that I used for a while, centered on the 135. The plan right now is two sizes. this size and the full size Mendel. After that you are on your own, but very few parts need to change.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby kram242 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:38 am

Hey guyz Mark and Trish here from Phlatboyz.
We are couple who loves to create affordable machines as a mission to bring manufacturing to the masses.
Been a lurker here for a little while checking out this awesome machine Bart is working up as well as getting into 3D printing ourselves with a new machine in the works we call the HBOT Pro.
We are not trying to hijack the thread, We saw the video and just wanted to pop in and let you all know that we are planning on making the HBOT open hardware as well as the software.
We have made several prototypes and are working on the MakerSlide version of the HBOT and we are very excited about this!
We want to thank Bart for all his hard work and effort to help bring manufacturing and the tools needed to inspire creativity.
Thank you
Mark and Trish
p.s. Very cool forum you have going here!
kram242

BoM, kits, etc.

Postby akonneker » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:05 am

Hey Bart,

The ORD Bot is looking fantastic!

Are planning on selling kits for these? Also, do you have an estimate for when you'll finalize the design and post a bill of materials?
akonneker

PreviousNext

Return to Build Logs