ORD Bot 3D Printer

Post your build logs here

ORD Bot 3D Printer

Postby bdring » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:07 pm

This buildlog details the development of a simple, ridged and scaleable 3D printer based on the Makerslide Linear bearing system. It is called the ORD Bot because it started because I wanted to bring a small example of a MakeSlide product to the ORD Camp conference in Chicago. The basic prototype was designed, fabricated and assembled in about 4-6 hours over 6 days.

There is a blog post here that give some more details.
The original CAD files are posted at Thingiverse.

ord_bot_p01.JPG
Official Image

ord_bot_p02.JPG

ord_bot_p04.JPG
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Extruder

Postby bdring » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:18 pm

I started out thinking about using the MakerBot MK7, but decided to go with the MakerGear Stepper Plastruder. I plan to support use of the MK7 on the same mount. If you have other extruders you want me to consider please let me know.

Standard_Prusa_Mount_large.jpg

I am quite impressed with the quality of the parts on the extruder. The printed parts look great. The picture shows an extra part below the wood part. I don't plan to use that and it did not come with the kit. The wooden part holds the nozzle in place.

It mounts to this angle bracket.

mg_extr_mount.jpg

extruder_mount.JPG
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Controller

Postby bdring » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:31 pm

I decided to go with the RAMPS setup. I bought an assembled version from Ultimachine. It is basically just a breakout board for an Arduino Mega. The only active components are a couple MOSFETs for the heaters and some PTC fuses.

RAMPS_PA_1.4.jpg

There are a lot of firmware and interface options. Right now I am going with Sprinter firmware, Skeinforge and Printrun Interface. I know there are other options like Marlin and Slic3r, but I am only testing the basic funtions right now.

I'll post all the configuration changes I need to do soon.

So Far I have all three axes working at the right resolutions and directions. The extruder stepper and heater is working. I need to calibrate the extruder. The limits switches are working, but not mounted yet.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Power Supply

Postby bdring » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:51 pm

I am currently using an ATX power supply, but that is big and has messy wiring. I thought about using this power supply from MPJA. 12V @ 17 Amps & $14.95. It looks like the RAMPS is designed for 16A and I assume that is not 100% duty.

18091.JPG
18091.JPG (15.28 KiB) Viewed 46724 times

http://www.mpja.com/12V-17A-Phihong-Pow ... /18091+PS/
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Re: ORD Bot 3D Printer

Postby Enraged » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:49 pm

Does Ardiuno support equations in the firmware? I'm curious if you could modify the Sprinter firmware to drive the stewart platform you showed in another thread.
Enraged

Postby bdring » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:44 pm

The Arduino always amazes me with what it can do. I was impressed with the 3D printing, then people added acceleration, look ahead and jerk.

EMC is an example of how it is done. A kinematic layer is inserted between the motion command and the axis controls. In a normal case move +1 in X is passed right through to the x motor. In a delta or stewart setup +1 in X might involve 3 or more motors.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Extruder Mounted

Postby bdring » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:07 am

I got the extruder mounted. I need to determine the right feedrate settings. I am waiting for some PLA to test it with. Does anyone know a good starting point?

mounted_extr.JPG

I plan to dress the wires behind the motor and under the gantry and use a spring again.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby mxk » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:09 am

Bart,
Regarding other extruders, please extend the bottom part of your existing plate design a half inch or so and the very common Wades extruder should fit. I use that same Makergear hot-end on my Sells Mendel reprap with a variant called Greg's Accessible Wades Extruder, http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6713 and have been very happy with it, I was planning on something similar with my ORD bot. I ask you to extend the bottom part because I think I will need to orient it with the gears towards the vertical part of your mounting plate.

The plastic part in the photo of the plastruder is a Prusa x-carriage, I believe. It was just for illustration because they got so many people asking if their extruder would work on a non-Makergear device.
mxk

Postby mxk » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:17 am

Regarding starting feedrates, start slow, I suggest around 30 or so in the Speed tab of Skeinforge. With modern versions (4.0 and later) your feedrate and flowrate should be the same. I just helped a friend get started tuning a Mendel, I will send you a PM with all my settings for Skeinforge.
mxk

Postby bdring » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:20 am

Feedrate...I was talking about the step/mm.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Next

Return to Build Logs