ORD Bot 3D Printer

Post your build logs here

Re: ORD Bot 3D Printer

Postby bdring » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:33 pm

Mark and Trish here from Phlatboyz

Hey Mark, I am glad you posted the details. I refrained from posting about your MakerSlide purchases because I wanted to let you control the release of the information on where you go with the H-bot. I figured You-tube was fair game though.

akonnneker...Are planning on selling kits

It is looking very favorable. If I don't do it, others are looking at doing it too.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby kram242 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:38 pm

Thanks bro :) keep up the good work, the ORD looks fantastic!
Mark and Trish
kram242

Postby mxk » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:58 am

I saw the write-up on the ORD bot on hackaday a few minutes ago, how did the show-n-tell at the hacker space go?
mxk

Postby dditzler » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:08 am

I would say it went really well!

Bart got the printer setup and printing and it made it's first part tonight.

Here is a video of it printing. It is very quiet and fast.

This is the calibration file. It should measure 20mm across. It is slightly over, less than the thickness of a piece of paper. This is from the VERY FIRST PART ever printed. Great Job BART!

dditzler

Postby bdring » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:05 pm

That part picture David posted actually printed without the Y set screw tightened. Just the shaft friction was running the Y. We saw the problem, fixed it and reran it. This is a better picture of the first part with zero tuning done.

PICT9238.jpg
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby dditzler » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:12 pm

Bart can you post some screen grabs from Slic3r showing your settings?

Are there any other settings you could post like the software used to send the Gcode to the printer?

thanks.

BTW - wanted to say that this thing was printing quieter than an inkjet printer last night. I think it would be totally usable in an office environment sitting right on your desk.
dditzler

Slic3r Setting

Postby bdring » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:41 pm

I did not save the settings from last night, but this is my recollection. They are posted on this wiki page.

http://www.buildlog.net/wiki/doku.php?i ... r_settings
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby JeremyBP » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:06 pm

Hi,
I was thinking about further tweaking the Slic3r settings, and have a few ideas for things you might try.
PLA is very particular about print temperatures. Set it as low as you can reliably extrude. Sometimes this can be as low as 160. For 0.3mm layers, 175 might be a good start.
Also, the reversal speed needs to be as high as you can manage. I remember the extrusion restarting a bit late, so boosting the extra distance after reversal to 0.1 might help. Also, find out how fast the printer can go, and set the infill speeds to a bit less than that.
With that in mind, I've created a configuration file (http://tinyworkshop.org/ul/ORDBot.INI) which you might consider trying out. I'm curious to see how it works.
Compulsive Fabricator
http://tinyworkshop.org
JeremyBP

Postby bdring » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:27 pm

Thanks Jeremy,

I think you deserve a lot of credit for the ORD Bot printing successfully on its first try. Last night I tried a larger print and did not have much time, so I doubled the infill speeds and changed the infill to 25%. I worked very well I may be able to speed it up even further. I did notice a few times where the extrusion start was not as fast as it should be. I'll look at your settings

I also noticed the the X carriage eccentric nuts had not been tightened at PS1 so there was a little bit of wiggle on that axis. The edges of the prints are looking even better now.

I ordered parts for the larger version yesterday. I might send them your way if you are interested in building it and tuning it up. I need to cut the acrylic and carbon fiber parts this weekend.

This was done in PLA and is about 3 inches long.

mount.JPG
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby JeremyBP » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:32 pm

Awesome. What kinds of speeds are you seeing?
It would be my honor to work on one.
Compulsive Fabricator
http://tinyworkshop.org
JeremyBP

PreviousNext

Return to Build Logs