Jeremy's ORD Bot Build

Post your build logs here

Jeremy's ORD Bot Build

Postby JeremyBP » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:46 am

Hello all.
I received a Quantum kit from Bart for beta testing and documentation (which I am writing as you read this over on the wiki).
So far, I've built the gantry and extruder carriage. Here's a photo.
I'm absolutely blown away with the design. It moves very smoothly with no slop, and goes together very quickly and easily. I believe that it would be possible to build the whole thing in only a few hours.
I can't wait to get more of this built. Until then.
Compulsive Fabricator
http://tinyworkshop.org
JeremyBP

Re: Jeremy's ORD Bot Build

Postby Improbable Construct » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:42 am

Jeremy,

Please keep us up to date on your build progress!
I am sure there are at least a hundred or so people waiting to build their own.
Let us know what electronics, power supply, extruder you use and how it works.
Thanks for being a beta tester.
Improbable Construct

Postby butterfingers » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:43 am

+1 on the comment above. Thanks for being a Beta tester - I, for one, am really looking forward to reading about your progress.
butterfingers

Postby mhensen » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:59 am

At least it looks great and clean. A complete different approach and appearance then the 'standard' based printers!!! Looking forward to my own build :-)

Keep us all posted !!
mhensen

Postby dzach » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:26 pm

Hi Jeremy!
I'm already following the documentation of the build in the wiki. It reads great and looks great too.
The only issue is that it takes a very long time to load, e.g. the 11.4MB ord:assembly page takes my PC 1min 8sec to load, due to the pictures being full sized, over 1.3MB each. Using thumbnails with links to the full sized images would make the pages a lot lighter I believe.

Thanks a lot for the nice work you are doing!
dzach

Postby JeremyBP » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:32 pm

That's a good point. Unfortunately, I don't think DokuWiki can render separate thumbnails. I'll look into it, though.
Also, feel free to use this thread as a critique for the documentation. If anything is confusing, unclear, or plain wrong, let me know.
Compulsive Fabricator
JeremyBP

Postby IPvFletch » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:26 am

Hey Jeremy, in the other thread you mentioned you mounted the MK7 already. Do you have any updated pics or assembly details? Thanks!! :D
IPvFletch

Postby JeremyBP » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:45 am

All the photos from the rest of the build are uploading right now, and I should be able to put together directions soon. I'm working on finalizing my mk7 mount (read: kludge) before I post it.
On another note, I got all the exes moving today, and dang, this thing is fast. I got up to 800 mm/sec before I ran out of space to accelerate the axes. I'm seriously impressed.

EDIT:
Here's a picture of the bot, minus the extruder and electronics.
ORD131.png
Official Image
Compulsive Fabricator
JeremyBP

Postby IPvFletch » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:33 am

Sweet!! Thanks!! I was under the impression the blue parts would be (anodized) aluminum?? It looks like it in Bart's design pics, but perhaps it was just the way it showed and it is really acrylic. That is not as sturdy as aluminum would have been, but I guess it will be fine. It has aluminum slides at least, so the skeleton itself is very robust at least... :)

I noticed he still has the single slot elbow brackets in there for the slide rails mounting to the bottom. Is that sufficient or would a double-wide elbow bracket be better? Or does it not matter?

Anyways, thanks again - Keep 'em coming Jeremy!!!
IPvFletch

Postby JeremyBP » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:37 am

I believe that the blue parts for the final kit will be anodized aluminum. On mine they are acrylic.
The vertical slides are actually supported by the bot feet in the back as well as by the brackets in the front, so it's really rock solid. It might also be a bit hard to use a double wide bracket, as there's only one T-slot on the front of the makerslide. ;)
Compulsive Fabricator
JeremyBP

Next

Return to Build Logs