Jeremy's ORD Bot Build

Post your build logs here

Re: Jeremy's ORD Bot Build

Postby JeremyBP » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:26 pm

Those would probably work well for a prusa sized bed, but would be too big for my cupcake bed.
Compulsive Fabricator
http://tinyworkshop.org
JeremyBP

Postby IPvFletch » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:44 pm

It scares me that heated bed springs and Z-axis lead screws have this much affect (or ANY affect really) on the X and Y axis of the print. I thought Bart said the axis don't move, just the screws, but clearly what you're saying is the screws themselves are throwing off the X+Y axis as it travels up and down the slightly-deformed Z lead screws. This is bad, as you'll never get reliable prints, and like you said, it is worse with faster printing, possible due to wavering and flexing..
IPvFletch

Postby Gijs » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:04 pm

The Z-axis problem was due to a wobble in Jeremys Z-screw (see his first test where you can clearly hear and see that the Z-axis is out of line)

The springs in the bed is a different story. This issue will be highly dependent on the inertia of the printbed itself, as it is spring-loaded and the printhead and printbed in comparison to the whole machine. I bet that if you fix the 2 Z-makerslides to a block of concrete, it will produce higher quality prints at high speed (at least in the direction of the print head) :)
Gijs

Postby JeremyBP » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:19 am

The bed springs are an issue no one really runs into much, mostly because no one really goes over 200mm/s much. Stiffer springs have really reduced that issue.
In terms of the wobble imparted by the screws, it's really not an issue. My Z-axis was so badly out of alignment that the flex-couplers on the motors couldn't compensate, and fixing that solved it. The wobble itself was coming from the screw flexing the acrylic z-bracket. That won't happen with the aluminum ones in the final version.
Compulsive Fabricator
JeremyBP

Postby JeremyBP » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:36 am

I just finished printing one of MakeALot's link bracelets at 60% scale, 0.1mm layer height. It's awesome. No discernable wobble, and the print is absolutely dead nuts. The stl is 22mm high. My print, 22.01mm. Close enough for me. :P
Compulsive Fabricator
JeremyBP

Postby IPvFletch » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:21 am

Sweet, and that is good to hear. Yes I went back and watched his original movies when this first came up. I didn't know there were flex couplers for the lead screws. That seems like a nice touch!
IPvFletch

Postby Pazu » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:07 am

JeremyBP wrote:I just finished printing one of MakeALot's link bracelets at 60% scale, 0.1mm layer height. It's awesome. No discernable wobble, and the print is absolutely dead nuts. The stl is 22mm high. My print, 22.01mm. Close enough for me. :P

I demand you post pictures for prints this awesome sounding. :P
Pazu

Postby bdring » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:57 pm

I have noticed on the larger Hadron that the weakest point for the stiffness in the Z is the Misumi angle bracket at the bottom. The MakerSlide only has one slot, so I assumed the one hole bracket would be fine. It turns out that the connections to the t-slot are fine, but there was a little flex in the bracket itself. I switched to the double wide bracket and it is far stiffer. The double bracket is more than twice as wide.

Even though I already purchased and bagged all the brackets, I will probably get more double brackets and add them to the kits. It might be very hard to notice on the Quantum, but I'll propbably add them there too. The Bots kits are 90% the same already. I'll add extra hardware for the 1 extra hole that can be used.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby mhensen » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:16 pm

+1

Cool that you are able and also doing changes for the good!!!
That's what I call support.. well 'support' is a crazy word when you have nothing at hand now.

But thanks of thinking upfront!
mhensen

Postby bjoerngiesler » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:01 am

Pazu wrote:
JeremyBP wrote:I just finished printing one of MakeALot's link bracelets at 60% scale, 0.1mm layer height. It's awesome. No discernable wobble, and the print is absolutely dead nuts. The stl is 22mm high. My print, 22.01mm. Close enough for me. :P

I demand you post pictures for prints this awesome sounding. :P

That's right -- pics or it didn't happen 8-)
bjoerngiesler

PreviousNext

Return to Build Logs