Jeremy's ORD Bot Build

Post your build logs here

Re: Jeremy's ORD Bot Build

Postby JeremyBP » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:00 am

Problem resolved. The chip was getting very hot, but I couldn't feel it because the heat sink was not attached well. Fixing that helped with the overheating somewhat. Part of the reason I liked the mk7 initially was because it was not geared. I now realize that I have to crank up the current because of that, leading to a whole host of thermal issues. Another thing that helped was to turn down the speed in areas with high back pressure, such as solid infill, so that I needed less torque. Now I need to do some printing so I can get it calibrated.
Compulsive Fabricator
http://tinyworkshop.org
JeremyBP

Postby mhensen » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:45 pm

@Jeremy, @Brian

How is the base plate positioning leveling handled.. I know i express myself wrong as english is not native to me :-)

What I mean is it could be that the angle between the riser and build/base plate isn't exactly 90degrees.
How can we adjust this.. like with the pursa I have standoff's so that I can lower or raise a cornet of the plate..

For the first layer it is almost critical to have it leveled so that home is on all placed equal to what the initial home was ..

Or is it always 100% leveled because of the slides.. I am not a mechanical engineer, just a software engineer.. :-)
mhensen

Postby bdring » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:53 pm

You install the first Z extrusion using a carpenters square to make sure it is 90 degrees. The brackets allow a lot of adjustment. You then use the gantry to make sure the second vertical is parallel to the first one.

When you install the Y axis, so use a square to insure it is 90 degrees to the X and 90 to the Z. Again, there is a lot of adjustment room in the brackets.

The 2 Z lead screws can be turned Independently to square the Z at any time.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby mhensen » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:04 pm

Ah ok.. cool .. this is much better then the prusa where I am always in struggle to keep it leveled!!!!

Thanks for answering!
mhensen

Postby JeremyBP » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:07 pm

There are two ways to get square prints. The best is to have a square printer. The most amusing is to use the skeinforge "derp" plugin. This was created by Jonathan Palacek at PS:One. He has a prusa that was not square, and didn't want to square it. So he measured how much it was out of square by, and offset the model by that amount so that it printed square. It's amusing to watch. :lol:
Compulsive Fabricator
JeremyBP

Postby bdring » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:12 pm

When setting up Marlin, It took many tries to get the Z motor tuned. It always tried to go too fast and the motors would stall. Of course one motor stalls before the other (Murphy). I therefore had to resquare the Z about 8-10 times. It only takes a few seconds. I have a rod that is about 200mm long. I lower each side until the gantry brackets hit the rod on each side. If you do it close to the lead screws, the parallax (probably wrong term) is minimize, so adjusting the one side has little impact on the other.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby JeremyBP » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:19 pm

There is a feedrate limiter in Marlin. In configuration.h, on line 164. I limit my z to 5.8 mm/sec. I found the default acceleration to be fine.
Compulsive Fabricator
JeremyBP

Postby mhensen » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:51 pm

Ok .. Just got one last question.. Although I am on the reservation list :-)

As PLA like to have a fan mounted to be able to cool to top layer and the upper part of the nozzle to prevent backflow, is there the option for a fan near the extruder tip included?
in this in mean 'extra' holes so we can mount a bracket for a fun underneath the L shaped bracket where the extruded resides on?
mhensen

Postby JeremyBP » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:02 pm

You can mount an extra fan. There is a fan output on the RAMPS for just that.
Also, I've started printing! Here's a video.
Compulsive Fabricator
JeremyBP

Fan mount

Postby bdring » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:17 pm

I added 2 extra holes on the extruder carriage. I thought these could be used for things like a cooling fan. They are the 2 on the right side on the carriage.

gantry_top.jpg
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Build Logs