Ferny's 3D Printer Build

Post your build logs here

Extruder Carriage

Postby Ferny » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:17 am

My Makerslide came in so it was a happy day. I cut up a few pieces and have a couple carriages sliding around.
Kind of a seat of the pants build. I am making it quite a bit larger than most so I think I will have to go with dual lower Makerslides instead of the tripod design. That brings up another consideration alignment and binding. Might go with dual drive motors like the Z-axis but not sure yet. Running a few ideas by my mechanical co-workers. Been down for a few days unable to order more parts. I thought I had a drawer full of 5mm T-slot nuts but I don't. I still need some misc. Misumi extrusions and hardware. Added extra long wires to the steppers as seen in this pic. I really like this Makerslide design. It is going to lead to several handy uses.
Ferny

3GT Belt Clamps

Postby Ferny » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:52 pm

Thanks to someones tip on here I found a 3GT belt profile .dxf on Stockdrive website. http://www.sdp-si.com/
If anybody wants the belt clamp .dxf with 3GT and MXL it's attached.

Attachments
BeltClamp3GT-MXL.zip
(13.33 KiB) Downloaded 1211 times
Ferny

Dual belt clamps

Postby Ferny » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:03 pm

Been side tracked with emergencies at work and a scammed credit card. I wish people would do something more productive with their time than scamming companies! Just ordered the belts from Stock Drive Parts and some extra Misumi extrusions and hardware today. Anyway here's the latest Dual belt clamp for the 3GT timing belt I am using.

http://buildlog.net/forum/posting.php?mode=reply&f=33&t=1127#preview

Ferny
Ferny

Re: Ferny's 3D Printer Build

Postby Ferny » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:15 pm

1st official image ;-)
Attachments
ExtruderCarraige.jpg
Official Image
Ferny

It's Alive!

Postby Ferny » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:18 pm

A lot has happened in the last month.
Our 3D Printer is up and running.
We had several problems including blowing a Z-stepper driver trying to drive two steppers. Solved by adding drive for each motor.
Our latest problem was during the print it would just randomly hangup and stop printing. Couldn't communicate to Arduino on com3 (USB) when this happened. We think it was static buildup on the plate/heater flowing up through the head and into the Arduino and computer? Added ground to plate, hot end, and frame. So far we have completed a couple small gears completely. Running Sli3er and Pronterface so far.
Attachments
PrintomaticPicture.jpg
Ferny

Postby Ferny » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:11 pm

Complete unit video
Ferny

First Print

Postby Ferny » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:03 pm

The herringbone gear on the left was our first attempt at a part. Turned out pretty good for using a heat gun as a heater. The straight gear on the right is after a few days of tweaking and getting our bed heater up to 100 degrees C. Looks a lot better. Still have a lot to learn.

Ferny.
Attachments
Gears.jpg
Ferny

Heaters

Postby Ferny » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:03 pm

We got three Watlow 1000 Watt heaters mounted to the main aluminum bed. They are 5" X 20" and I used 3M high temp double sided tape, 3 rows per heater. Also put heatsink paste between the tape to help transfer the heat. I threw it in a heavy plastic bag and vacuumed it to really attach the tape to the bed and heaters . So far so good. I also added a Omega temperature controller and a "K" type thermocouple. I had to Dremel out a slot to fit the thermocouple inbetween the heaters. I super glued it in the slot and put Kapton tape over it also. We have about a 6 degree C difference between the bottom and top of the plate. I put a layer of foam insulation with a foil backer under the heaters also to help mitigate heat loss. The heaters will blow a 15 Amp circuit breaker if run on 120VAC so we have a Vari-Ac running them at 70VAC temporarily.
Parts have been turning out nicely and we're still tweaking settings in Pronterface to learn what they do.

Ferny.
Attachments
Wakefield.jpg
Thermal Paste
WatlowHeater.jpg
Watlow Heater
Ferny

Bridging fan duct and temp controller

Postby Ferny » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:09 pm

My builder Buddy designed up a bridging fan mount and duct to help with bridging. There is also a shot of the Omega temp controller temporarily balancing under the bed. I think you can see the bed insulation foam also while panning down.

Ferny.
Ferny

Postby Liberty4Ever » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:54 am

Very interesting project! I thought about going bigger, but decided on a regular Hadron 8"X8"X8" build volume. If things work as I hope and I'm doing a lot of printing, I think I'll work on a reliable part ejecting heated build platform. I think all of my parts will be small, so a Quantum ORD Bot build area would probably suit most of my needs, as long as I could eject each part and start another one.

Do you have specific large parts in mind? Have you tried to print large parts yet? Any problems with large part shrinkage, even with the heated build platform?
Apparently, I didn't build that! :-)
Liberty4Ever

Previous

Return to Build Logs