Printed ORD Bot

Post your build logs here

Printed ORD Bot

Postby crispyfry » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:47 am

After discovering Makerslide and the family of ORD Bots a couple of weeks ago, I decided I wanted to make one. But sadly, I was a good month too late to get on the pre-order list, and it would take forever to get it! So I decided to put my Prusa to good use and print the parts I needed.

From a high level, what I'm doing is not much different from the normal ORD bot configuration. I've made some changes to allow for the weaker nature of printed ABS vs acrylic sheets or Aluminum, and to reduce part count where practical. But it's still going to look very much like an ORD bot.

My list of printed parts is:
    Extruder carriage with integrated belt clamp half (2 parts)
    Motor mounts (3), idler mounts (2), feet (3).
    All spacers (cost reduction measure - why buy 100 when I only need 8?)
    Z plates with integrated nuts traps for Z lift rods
    Y axis plate (reduced in size and designed to interface to intermediate PCB carrier)

The following parts I may have to print, depending on availability:
    Belt idler pulley
    V-wheels (I really really REALLY do not want to print these because I will lose a LOT of precision but availability is virtually non-existent right now)

I will also be re-using lots of parts from my Prusa: motors, electronics, belts, pulleys, etc.

Parts Printed So Far

So far I've printed the feet, motor mounts, and idler mounts. The feet are identical to the model files in the .STEP assembly of the hadron, which I'm using as a reference. I thickened the motor mounts and idlers to 4mm, to give them more stiffness.

2012-03-25_21-10-10_493.jpg
feet, motor mounts, idler mounts

Printing the V-wheels
I did a test print of the v-wheels at a fairly low layer height. I think they are workable with a well-calibrated printer. I had some blobbing issues due to slic3r moving the Z height at the same X,Y coord of the part for every layer. Other than that they came out nicely.

I will list my other design modifications as I am able.
crispyfry

Re: Printed ORD Bot

Postby mxk » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:29 am

Most excellent! Would you share your STl files, or are you planning to post them on Thingiverse?
mxk

Release STL files?

Postby crispyfry » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:09 pm

mxk wrote:Most excellent! Would you share your STl files, or are you planning to post them on Thingiverse?

I will share the STLs, timeline is TBD. I'd like to assemble the bot to see if any changes are needed, then release. But if some people want them now I could be talked into that.
crispyfry

Watch for belt clearance.

Postby bdring » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:27 pm

The only issue I see right now is belt clearance. The plate for the Y motor and the idler pulley can't be too thick or the belt will ride too high to get under the carriages. A simple fix might be to lower the height where the pulley sits. I would build the spacer for the idler pulley right into the part too.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Printed Z plates

Postby crispyfry » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:18 am

I would build the spacer for the idler pulley right into the part too.

Ah, I see what you mean. I didn't even think of that.

The plate for the Y motor and the idler pulley can't be too thick or the belt will ride too high to get under the carriages.

Another thing I didn't think of. If it turns out to be a problem I could shim the motor and idler down, as you suggested.

I printed the Z plates last night. They came out well. I printed them in natural ABS because I have a lot of it. It is hard to get decent contrast in pictures with this plastic, however.

2012-03-29_19-57-10_888.jpg
Z plates

The only modifications were to integrate the threaded rod blocks, and replace the threaded delrin with the nut trap for a M8 brass nut. The other change was to make a cutout to remove material that is not needed for strength. I'm not sure how much material this saved on these, but on other parts I was able to remove quite a bit more.

If you look closely you will notice that the angle braces for the nut traps overlap one of the lower holes of the motor mount hole pattern. On the non-motor side I eliminated this hole, and on the motor side I left it truncated since I use NEMA 17 motors and therefore don't need the full length of the slot. Other than this I left the hole pattern from the standard parts as-is.

Tonight, I am printing the 2-part X carriage. These large, simple prints are really making me wish I had a 0.5mm nozzle!
Last edited by crispyfry on Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
crispyfry

Postby butterfingers » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:21 am

This is very cool, and as well as that should hopefully put to rest some of the more snippy comments I've seen in the reprap IRC channel...
butterfingers

Postby crispyfry » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:38 am

butterfingers wrote:This is very cool, and as well as that should hopefully put to rest some of the more snippy comments I've seen in the reprap IRC channel...

hehe, you mean about ORD being a "true" RepRap?

IMHO, and I can only speak for myself, purposefully making a tool worse (less functional, harder to build, harder to maintain) just for the sake of pursuing some ideal of self-manufacturability is insane. The faster RepRap makes printers that are useful tools for people instead of cantankerous machines that require constant attention, the faster it will be adopted and the faster it will advance to the point of self-reproducability.

Also IMHO, the fixation on threaded-rod frames and smooth rod running surfaces is starting to hold the RepRap project back. You just can't scale that kind of design - an increase in frame dimensions requires going to a thicker sized rod, which sends cost and weight through the roof.
crispyfry

Postby naPS » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:55 am

butterfingers wrote:This is very cool, and as well as that should hopefully put to rest some of the more snippy comments I've seen in the reprap IRC channel...

Sounds like my grandpa talking about how bad they had things back in his day. Just because what you did was more difficult, didn't make it better. Such a silly mindset. And really, what's the difference with using a threaded rod instead of a piece of makerslide? It's not like a RepRap printed the threaded rod or nuts. Those machines use just as many 'vitamins' as the ORDBot does. Actually, they probably use more, as the ORDBot seems to utilize far fewer parts.
naPS

Postby mxk » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:28 am

crispyfry wrote:IMHO, and I can only speak for myself, purposefully making a tool worse (less functional, harder to build, harder to maintain) just for the sake of pursuing some ideal of self-manufacturability is insane. The faster RepRap makes printers that are useful tools for people instead of cantankerous machines that require constant attention, the faster it will be adopted and the faster it will advance to the point of self-reproducability.

Also IMHO, the fixation on threaded-rod frames and smooth rod running surfaces is starting to hold the RepRap project back. You just can't scale that kind of design - an increase in frame dimensions requires going to a thicker sized rod, which sends cost and weight through the roof.

I agree! While I love my Sells Mendel, I learned a lot with it, it took me a week of nights to build and several months of tuning and tweaking until I was printing dimensionally accurate parts with it. I am hoping to build my ORD over the weekend; I won't be surprised if the output quality matches my Mendel on day one, and it will probably have a higher top speed too.

I've seen a lot of newer designs lately that have moved away from threaded rod for the framing, nophead's Mendel90 and the Mendelmax both come to mind. I'm almost done printing the parts for a Mendelmax, and expect my Misumi order to arrive next week, so these next couple weekends will be fun.
mxk

Re: Printed Z plates

Postby Enraged » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:46 am

crispyfry wrote:

Wow, your parts look fantastic!
Enraged

Next

Return to Build Logs