Frob's Hadron build

Post your build logs here

Re: Frob's Hadron build

Postby frob » Tue May 08, 2012 1:11 am

Gijs wrote:Congrats on your first prints! 8-)
What's the reason for you Y-axis iddler mod?
Thanks!
Ahh, i was wondering when someone would notice that... :-)

I was having problems with the belts riding up on the idlers, and also a different problems trying to get a max. endstop installed near the idler - since the idler pulley is larger dia. than the motor pulley, the belt interferes with the end-stop post at the idler end. So that got me trying to think of a solution, and i remembered that i couple months ago (before ORDbots) while i was scheming to build a sort of all-in one CNC/printer/ laser platform, i came across these little neat little idlers at a local surplus store and bought a couple- looks like new old stock from a defunct reel-to-reel mag tape system - i got one out and measured it and it turns out its exactly the same dia of the motor pulley- sweet. but they have only a lip the thickness of magnetic tape, so the belt would right away ride off the idler, due to the flex in the idler bracket. so i went scrounging in my box of aluminum bits for something stiffer, and found some heavy gauge L extrusion and cut a piece, then i looked at the build carriage and had a brainwave - since the pulley spacing on it is less than the size of the carriage, if i mount the motor and the idler a little lower, so the carriage clears over them, i'd gain an extra 10cm of travel in the Y direction. As an added bonus, now the build plates retracts completely behind the X gantry so homing the printer makes me much less nervous since the printhead cant crash into it no matter what. It also means i can put an extra long plate on top and get a full 20 x 30cm build area out of it! :-)

The idlers are all aluminum, pressed together with tiny sealed ball-bearings in each end and spin silky-smooth. The aluminum shaft is threaded 4-40 all the way through, and protrudes about a mm on each side so you don't even need a washer. The width of belt they can take between "lips" are 9mm or ~ 0.350", and they could be turned on a lathe or drill press to take 3/8 or 1cm wide belt pretty easily, which i was counting on doing for my CNC setup later, to use more heavy-duty belts.
If anyone wants one i guess i could add that to my catalog, as long the the store doesn't run out. I'l stop by later this week and see if they have any left and get a few more if they do.
frob

Thoughts on printable extruders ?

Postby frob » Fri May 11, 2012 6:17 pm

I'm scheming to attempt printing a new extruder body /mechanism this weekend -
Anyone have an opinion as to which is "best" for an ORD bot ?
I'll probably assemble a pretty ordinary hotend from locally available parts to go along with that.
Probably using a nichrome wire heater to start, and embedded thermocouples.
frob

Postby Enraged » Sat May 12, 2012 11:12 pm

I don't know if its best, but I'm using a Wades Reloaded with a J Head hot end and it fits nicely on the Hadron. An adapter is needed to raise the whole thing to add Z clearance due to the length of the J Head.
Enraged

Postby butterfingers » Sun May 13, 2012 7:02 am

Enraged wrote:I don't know if its best, but I'm using a Wades Reloaded with a J Head hot end and it fits nicely on the Hadron. An adapter is needed to raise the whole thing to add Z clearance due to the length of the J Head.

I have the same combo. So far I've build a simple adapter plate with a piece of acrylic. I plan to make a mount to raise the whole thing up, and integrate a fan to cool the J-Head for PLA. Do you have a design for your adapter yet? I'd be keen to see it.
butterfingers

Postby Enraged » Sun May 13, 2012 6:08 pm

No design yet, but it will basically be a set of stand offs. I drilled out the mounting holes on the carriage plate to fit M4 bolts, and the extruder fits fine on it now.
Enraged

Previous

Return to Build Logs