Post your build logs here

Re: Plasma Cutter

Postby gavztheouch » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:00 pm

Cool!
Timothy hay for rabbits delivered over the UK http://www.timothyhay.co.uk
gavztheouch

Re: First Full CNC Cuts

Postby BenJackson » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:00 am

bdring wrote: I don't know if it is safe to film with my good camera.

I've seen people film TIG arcs with no apparent harm to the camera, but I know how you feel.
BenJackson

Postby macona » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:06 am

It wont hurt the camera. Only two things that can really damage a camera, the sun and lasers.
macona

Plasma Cutter vs. Camera

Postby bdring » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:41 pm

sun and lasers

Thanks for the info. I was assuming that, but was going to check with a few camera experts. I had heard that the sun would damage them, but I have seen a lot of good plasma cutter videos, so I was just being careful.

I'll do a video soon. The wiring needs a cleanup between the controller and the plasma first. I also have some design changes I want to make frame. I want to make the whole system a little more portable and make the water trough a easier to slide in and out.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Repackaged Electronics

Postby bdring » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:44 pm

I repackaged the electronics today. I had the electronics all mounted to an acrylic plate, but this will make a little more robust.

I started with a Keling (ATI) basic electronics enclosure for the Gecko G540. It cost about $79 and that includes a power entry connector, a fuse (did not use), a power outlet (did not use), a lighted power switch, an e-stop button and a 9 pin D connector for the limit switches.

I only had to add a cutout for the torch height display to the front. Everything else bolted right in. The only kludgy thing in the drawer is the two 12VDC isolated power supplies. I used wall warts rather than buy two new supplies. The torch height system needs these to stay isolated from the torch.

I did not use a fan. I doubt I will need one and the power supply has one that turns on if it gets hot. with the well ventilated chassis that should stir out the heat.

DSC00283.JPG

DSC00284.JPG

DSC00285.JPG

DSC00286.JPG
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby automationtech » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:52 am

automationtech

Postby loopingz » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:53 pm

That is looking super pro!
loopingz

Postby bdring » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:02 pm

Thanks,

A lot of stuff was temporary as I learned what makes a good plasma cutter. I am cleaning it all up now.

I am making some changes to the frame to make it a little more portable and user friendly. I will be adding a removable water tray under the cutting area.

The X Z parts were just made from laser cut acrylic. I was planning on changing them to aluminum, but as I was optimizing the design, I had a cool new idea I want to try first. I hope to be able to show that soon.

The rack drives are working great and I am looking at cleaning up the design and releasing the source files. The pinion gear is a little expensive and a bit of a PITA to mount to the shaft. I have some ideas I want to try to solve that.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

New Z Design

Postby bdring » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:01 pm

Here is the Z axis change I was talking about. As I was redesigning, I realized I was trying to create a structural box shape using plates and spacers. It occured to me to just find an existing full box shape. I decided to use this 6" x 2" x 1/8" wall aluminum rectangular tubing.

The resulting box is many times stronger than my other design. The machining took only about 1/2 hour and that included the programming.

It looks a little large in the rendering, but it the size of the box is only 6"x2"x7". The rack drives are held in place with shoulder screws and the tension is provided by a spring.

Here are some photos of the box itself and then there is a quick rendering of what the assmebly will look like. You can't see from the direction the rendering, but the Z has a floating head now to all quick automatic zeroing.

sq_tube_01.jpg

sq_tube_02.jpg

sq_tube_03.jpg

Untitled Project 94.jpg
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby Enraged » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:17 pm

Very slick solution. We did a similar idea for our big router, we ended up using 6"x4" aluminum rectangle and carved holes and such into it. Much easier and faster than cutting plate and welding/bolting.
Enraged

PreviousNext

Return to Build Logs