Buildlog.net Open Source Laser

Post your build logs here

Re: Buildlog.net Open Source Laser

Postby bdring » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:31 am

Comment From Buildlog Author

I needed a little more height, so I used the nut. It is also nice that I can pre-assemble it.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby baccus61 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:02 pm

Nice build log.
Just 1 thing I thought of with the table height adjustment.
When I use mine at high speed I get a little shake from the inertia of the lens mount which shakes the table a bit. It's not much but it is enough to alter the accuracy of the engraving. I was going to put some ball bearing drawer slides attached to the frame vertically at the top and bottom so the frame would be held in place to stop the wobble and still allow the table to move up and down. The slides are cheap and would be a worthwhile addition in my opinion.
To date I still haven't done this yet and as a quick fix I just press some rubber door wedges in the gap around the table to stop the wobble.
One day.......

Keep up the good work.
Rich.

http://www.youtube.com/user/baccus61
baccus61

Postby bdring » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:10 pm

I wanted to get a dedicated fire extinguisher for for the laser, but I kept forgetting to pick one up at the store. I mounted it directly to the side of the enclosure. It is ABC (and hopefully "L") rated.

fire_extinguisher.jpg
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby willyinaus » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:35 am

Just a question how do you get to it if the machine is well alight or is that just time to take real big steps out the door :D
willyinaus

Postby bdring » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:56 pm

It just for piece of mind and it looks kind of cool. Most people who see my laser ask me where the fire extinguisher is.

I saw this sign a while back. I took me a while to find the image. The one I saw was better because it showed the laser. This one just shows the sign. Obviously there was a very recent fire. Just for effect, I would singe the lower edge of the sign a little.
301669265_49ceac0b5d.jpg
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Hinge

Postby bdring » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:04 pm

A couple people asked me where I got the hinge. I took this picture at Menard's. I am pretty sure this is the one I used. There is a nickel plated one (mine) for about $9 and a stainless steel version for $28.

I used M3 flat head screws because this allows keeps the screw heads from contacting each other when the hinge is fully closed. I did not use all the holes, but it is important to use the outer most screws on both sides because the gas spring is under a lot of pressure when the cover is closed and tries to bend the hinge if there is no screw close to the edge.
hinge.JPG
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Motors Arrived

Postby bdring » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:04 pm

I finally got the motors I ordered. I ordered them over 2 months ago. This was my first adventure into buying directly from a manufacturer in China. I will probably do a blog post on the adventures of buying them, but here is a quick overview.

These were custom built to order. They do not stock them. This method lets you pick and choose from all the features and get exactly what you want, but there is a big lead time as they get the parts and schedule production. The prices are very good if you order in a decent sized quantity. There are a lot of other costs that really add up though. Shipping is very expensive, especially for heavy stuff like motors. There is also the cost of transferring the money. There is also the risk factor. Many people never see their parts or money. You need to pay all or some in advance so that is a risk. If you can establish that it is a actual, viable company, and your contact really works there that is a big start.

I am going to sell the motors for just a little more than the whole endeavor cost me. The price should be better than you can get anywhere else, especially if you compare the features. If I sell all the motors in a reasonable time, I might make a much bigger order to really get the prices down.

I have detailed drawings and step files of the motors on the drawings page.

The smaller NEMA 17 motors are 0.9 degree step motor. This gives really high resolution and smooth motion. On my laser they could do up to 4000 dpi if you run in 1/16th step mode. I don't think the mechanics are that accurate, but, who knows, it could help with grayscale.

Check the kits page for details.
motors_lg.jpg
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby LeonS » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:15 am

Bart,

I was trying to figure out the maximum cutting area of your laser cutter design. I know you originally stated it as part of your goals by I was searching around and couldn't find it. Is it 18"x24"?

Thanks in advance,
Leon
LeonS

Postby bdring » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:02 am

The X travel is about 27". The Y travel is about 16". The Z can move a little more than 8". The actual usable Z is less because of material thickness and focal length...maybe about 6.25" usable.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

BOM link broken

Postby deviker » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:15 am

Hi:
Bill of materials link is broken 404.
deviker

PreviousNext

Return to Build Logs