PS:One Hadron Buildlog

Post your build logs here

Azteeg X3 no shield

Postby bdring » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:01 pm

We were working on the PS:One Hadron last night at PS:One. I realized I forgot 24V shield. There was no motor power getting to the drivers. I did this hack with the leads of a 1/4 resistor to get it going temporarily.

x3_jumpers.jpg

We actually spent a lot of the night trying to fix the broken MakerBot Replicator. It had clogged nozzles.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Wiring Done

Postby bdring » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:48 pm

I finished all the wiring on the PS:One Hadron. It was a lot of wiring because it uses a dual extruder. The red wires power the extruder fans. I am not quite sure of the final configuration of these.

2012-12-02_13-38-22_491.jpg

I am waiting for some extruder parts to change the gear and use an idler.

I am playing with how to slice for the dual extruder. Right now I am checking out Cura.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Re: PS:One Hadron Buildlog

Postby regressedEE » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:54 am

Bart, would you mind sharing the source files for the handle? I'd like to try replicating it with my Shapeoko. Thanks!
regressedEE

Handle files

Postby bdring » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:07 am

What format do you need it in. I can supply Pro/E, STEP of DXF.

I made it out of HDPE which should cut like butter on the ShapeOko.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Handle CAD files

Postby bdring » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:30 am

OK...here are the files in 1:1 DXF and STEP form.

I had a few thing I wish I did better. The reset button extends past the edge. I have no clearance for it so you need to sort of jog it in from the side. No big deal, but consider adding a tiny notch. I placed my board flush with the surface. That looks nice but most USB cables are thick and bump into the cover. I found only one that fit after checking a bunch. The red wires were an after thought to power the extruder fans. I did not add a cut for it.

The bosses on the back of the cover are for press in M5 threaded inserts. You could also just size the hole for a self tapping screw.

Other than that I am happy with it. It definitely is easy on the hand.

handle_issues.png
Attachments
thick_mount.zip
(103.31 KiB) Downloaded 1201 times
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby regressedEE » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:35 pm

Thanks Bart!
regressedEE

Smoking

Postby bdring » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:00 am

A little excitement.

I think the thermister sleeve insulation failed and it shorted to ground. Repetier then turned on the extruder heater full blast. I think it reached about 450C. Even the ceramic insulation was smoking. Marlin has a feature to detect this and shut everything down. I don't see that in Repetier.

The tip of the thermister was destroyed and fused to the block. It took a few hours to get everything cleaned up and running again.

I think the MakerBots have a runaway temperature cutoff switch....good idea.

2012-12-11_20-58-35_327.jpg
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby bobt » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:36 am

Yes they do and I have purchased one for each of my QU-BD heads to stop just this problem.

By the way you now have 8 less stepper drivers in the MakerSlide store. Thank A Lot.

Bob Teeter
"What Box"
bobt

Re: Smoking

Postby orcinus » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:59 pm

bdring wrote:Marlin has a feature to detect this and shut everything down. I don't see that in Repetier.

Actually, Repetier not only has that feature, but an additional watchdog devoted to preventing this from happening as well:

Code: Select all
//// Experimental watchdog and minimal temp
// The watchdog waits for the watchperiod in milliseconds whenever an M104 or M109 increases the target temperature
// If the temperature has not increased at the end of that period, the target temperature is set to zero. It can be reset with another M104/M109
//#define WATCHPERIOD 5000 //5 seconds

//// The minimal temperature defines the temperature below which the heater will not be enabled
#define MINTEMP 5

Edit: Although, re-reading the comments, i'm not completely sure if these two work only when changing target temperature, or all the time. If they're only active when changing it, that's not good...
orcinus

Postby bdring » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:44 pm

I had the MINTEMP at 5, but no WATCHPERIOD...just like the code in the last post.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Build Logs