PS:One Hadron Buildlog

Post your build logs here

Spool Cartridge

Postby bdring » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:10 pm

I made a spool "cartridge". It adds to the portability of my system. It is not air tight, but it should keep the spool a little more away from the humidity. I may throw the desiccant that comes with the filament in the enclosure.

I used printed corners rather than standard angle brackets so the acrylic sides would slip in the grooves. I thought it would make things a lot stronger if the bolt across the layers goes all the way through.

There are little wedges to hold the acrylic tight against the walls. The only Misumi parts are the extrusions and a few tee nuts.

The output "nozzle" has a little spot for a dust wiper.

The rollers and handle are made of standard electrical conduit. The conduit is nice because 15mm O.D. bearings press in firmly.

It did not take too long to fabricate, but it did take a while to assemble.

cartridge1.JPG

cartridge2.JPG
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: PS:One Hadron Buildlog

Postby maximus_zero » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:55 am

Looks great!!! Did you design the corners or did you find them online.
maximus_zero

Round feet

Postby kbob » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:33 am

What is the deal with the round feet? They are similar to the ORD bots' feet. Is there a reason for that type of foot? Maybe it's springy or meant to be mounted on a pipe, or ...?

Thanks.
Bob
"If you didn't code it, it will never own you." (-:
kbob

Postby aleith » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:40 am

maybe you could mount a small light bulb in the spool holder to keep the humidity down and pre heat the filament. When I lived near the ocean an old timer had his tool boxes set up in his garage like that so the humidity wouldn't rust everything. Nice setup.
aleith

Postby bdring » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:49 am

What is the deal with the round feet?

One of the early design goals was to make the printer easy to move around. I made the feet rounded so they would self level on most surfaces. I made them out of HDPE so they would not scratch a wood table. I wanted the hole to act as a shock absorber. The feet turned out to be tougher than I first thought, so the shock absorber thing really did not pan out. Even though it adds more machining time, I kept the holes because I like the design aesthetic they bring.

Putting this design element on the feet and handle supports brings in a little ORD Bot DNA to the spool holder.

Did you design the corners

Misumi sells a similar bracket, but they are close to $6 each. That adds $48 to this project. The feet are built into the bottom brackets. That extra foot hole mounted to the extrusion adds a lot of stiffness too. I also added a little notch on three edges so the acrylic can project into the corners a little so there are no gaps. One of them presents an overhang in printing, but it is so small they they print perfectly without any strings.

Misumi also sell some rubber grommet like strips designed to mount acrylic in the slots. Using the corner wedges allowed me to build this entirely from scraps I had laying around the shop. The extrusion are part of my original laser design.

block.png

foot.png
foot.png (10.51 KiB) Viewed 27486 times
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Corner Blocks

Postby bdring » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:40 pm

I got a PM request for the corner block files. Here they are. There are two files for the feet because you need mirrored versions.

You need to use button head screws because the heads need to clear each other. I made one screw go all the way across the block because I thought compressing the layers would prevent layer failure.

That, of course, needs to be installed last, which complicates assembly a little.
Attachments
corner_blocks.zip
(63.39 KiB) Downloaded 1312 times
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Re: Corner Blocks

Postby kbob » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:41 pm

bdring wrote:I got a PM request for the corner block files. Here they are. There are two files for the feet because you need mirrored versions.

You need to use button head screws because the heads need to clear each other. I made one screw go all the way across the block because I thought compressing the layers would prevent layer failure.

That, of course, needs to be installed last, which complicates assembly a little.

I had a heck of a time understanding that from the drawings and description. You're saying that each upper corner block has three screws. Two screws are button heads and have the heads sunk into the block. The third screw, which points in the +Z direction (+Z as the block was oriented on the printer), is not sunk in. The +Z screw must be installed last. Each screw goes into the end of the extrusion, which you must have tapped.

The bottom corners are the same, but they have a fourth screw going into a T nut in the side of the extrusion.

Right?

(BTW, you posted here at 7:40 AM on Christmas morning. That's hardcore. (-: )
Bob
"If you didn't code it, it will never own you." (-:
kbob

Postby bdring » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:17 am

You are correct on the screws.

I was up before the kids and needed to kill some time.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby maximus_zero » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:10 am

Was the outlet nozzle of your own design or was it a part from somewhere?
maximus_zero

Postby BenJackson » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:12 am

maximus_zero wrote:Was the outlet nozzle of your own design or was it a part from somewhere?

I made something similar a long time ago: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6542
BenJackson

PreviousNext

Return to Build Logs