PS:One Hadron Buildlog

Post your build logs here

Re: PS:One Hadron Buildlog

Postby brnrd » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:15 pm

There's a jumper in the X3 that allows you to select between USB or internal power. It would have been nice to have a diode set-up like RAMPS so it can take power from either but I think this can also lead to other problems. You might want to switch to internal power.
brnrd

Postby orcinus » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:46 pm

bdring wrote:I have been very temped to play with the speed and flow multipiers. I don't want to introduce too many variables right now.

Tried them and they worked pretty nicely, but bugged out on me once or twice.
Once, during a speed multiplier shift mid-print, the head sorta just stopped for a bit (the buffer wasn't empty, so that couldn't have been it), hovered while oozing for 0.5-1s and then continued. And once, while playing with the flow multiplier (was trying to tweak a solid infill), the extruder just sorta splurged a blob of plastic all of a sudden (and no, it wasn't due to pushing the multiplier too far, they were all tiny tweaks).

My conclusion - nice features for fine tuning during test prints, but not something to rely on during "regular" prints.
orcinus

Last Night's Meeting

Postby bdring » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:52 pm

I brought it to PS:One last night for CNC Night. I had a few problems getting started but sorted them out by the end of the night.

• At first I had some troubles with the flow. It turned out the Z adjustment changed a little during transit and nozzle was so close to the plate it was effectively blocking it. If the nozzle flows fine above the plate, but not while printing...check that.
  • I had two failed prints do to the loss of USB connection to the controller. I heard the tell tale beep sounds of the USB loss and restart on the computer. The controller restarts too. Both times it was when someone touched the printer. I had a really skinny and crappy cable. Per @Royco's suggestion, I switched away from USB based power. The prints completed fine after that. I like to be able to kill the power to the motors and heaters and keep the controller alive by USB, but try the new power scheme for a while.

I also extensively played with the Repetier feed and flow multipliers during some of the prints with good success. I started out only running at about 80mm/sec from Slic3r. I ramped it up to 150%. I kept the flow and feed multipliers at the same rate.

I think there are some sweet spots for flow. It was doing a lot of in fill at the time and the quality of the lines looked better at the 140% range. It is nice to be able to tweak it on the fly.

BTW: The PS:One MakerBot Replicator 1 is still messed up. The nozzles keep clogging. It is a real chore to clean them, so most of the time it just sits there with a failed print on the platform. Some friends at 1871 say their Replicator 2 has never worked right either. Bottom Line: There are no magic bullets with these entry level printers. They all take a lot of tuning.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby orcinus » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:04 pm

That's why i find it funny when people justify Makerbot's prices with "it just works".
No it doesn't. You'd have to pay $10k minimum for something to "just work" and even then it'd probably only be with tech support.
orcinus

Postby aleith » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:17 pm

I did not feel right selling them an ORD Bot :o

I'm in the midst of putting mine together, what are the upgrades that have worked best since you rolled this out to begin with Bart?
I have the Sota Orduino and hotbed. I was also wondering if a vacuum formed cover would be easier to produce rather than the cnc-ed beauty you put together.

Thanks so far the build is going well
Cheers
aleith

Postby bdring » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:22 pm

The (2) upgrades that help with getting a smoother finish are stiffer Z brackets and flexible couplers. (Both are sold out from me :( )
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Filament Feed Tube

Postby bdring » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:59 am

My roller based filament feeder has worked great for a long time. I like to place it off to the side, but I don't like the way it tugs and slacks the line. I added these fittings and found a piece of tube laying around the lab at work.

So far it works great. The next step is to enclose the reel in an air tight "cartridge"

tube_feed.JPG
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby brnrd » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:21 am

Is that feed 3mm or 1.75 mm?
brnrd

Postby bdring » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:41 am

1.75mm inside a teflon (I think) tube. It does look strangely thick in the picture.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby bobt » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:38 pm

Maybe that because it has swelled with pride that Bart made it and now owns it.

Bob Teeter
"What Box"
bobt

PreviousNext

Return to Build Logs