Dirks 4x8 CNC Router Build

Post your build logs here

Dirks 4x8 CNC Router Build

Postby dirktheeng » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:55 pm

Hi all!

The wife and I finally got settled in our new house and I have had time to start setting up my shop. I have a long way to go, but I thought I could use a CNC router to really help that process move along. I am planning to use this to build cabinets, shop jigs, benches, and tools. I decided to get the CNC Router Parts 4896 kit. I decided to start a buildlog for this machine to document and track the progress. I will mostly be doing this through a video blog this time and writing a lot less. I don't have the amount of time I had before to write and document. Videos are quick and easy. I hope you enjoy this as much as I do. Please post questions and tell me about your experiences too.

Here's the first video:

IMG_0431[1].JPG
Official Image
Last edited by dirktheeng on Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:27 pm, edited 6 times in total.
dirktheeng

Re: Dirks 4x8 CNC Router Build

Postby BenJackson » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:18 pm

I want to build one of these too, so I'll be following your videos.

I actually designed a router based on the cncrouterparts stuff before he came out with the kit, but these days I think I'd stick with his kit if I could make it work.
BenJackson

Video Blog 2

Postby dirktheeng » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:18 pm

Here's a video showing a fully assembled gantry car/riser. It moves so smoothly. I am VERY impressed by this system.

dirktheeng

Postby dirktheeng » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:21 am

BenJackson wrote:I want to build one of these too, so I'll be following your videos.

I actually designed a router based on the cncrouterparts stuff before he came out with the kit, but these days I think I'd stick with his kit if I could make it work.

I love this kit. You can expect to pay about $7k for a completed system, which is about $3k more than you would expect to pay for the buildyourcnc plywood kit, but you get so much better of a machine out of it. I am really not a fan of the aluminum angle with steel vgroove bearings. This kit is so solid and uses steel on steel for the linear guides. I like it a lot.
dirktheeng

Build Video 3

Postby dirktheeng » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:58 am

here's a video of the gantry assembly. I originally had some review of the band saw I got and some more discussion, but I had to cut that out because it showed some personal information in a couple frames.

Last edited by dirktheeng on Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dirktheeng

Postby naPS » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:05 am

I hate you so much right now for getting one of these before I did. :) I've been drooling over that kit for about a year now.

I can't wait to see the rest of your build log - it's really cool that you've bought one and are documenting the build. I'd definitely be interested in knowing anything you'd do different if you could, especially since we built basically identical lasers.

Good work man!
naPS

Postby dirktheeng » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:21 am

naPS wrote:I hate you so much right now for getting one of these before I did. :) I've been drooling over that kit for about a year now.

I can't wait to see the rest of your build log - it's really cool that you've bought one and are documenting the build. I'd definitely be interested in knowing anything you'd do different if you could, especially since we built basically identical lasers.

Good work man!

Well... it was an investment. I hope to use this to start a small business... eventually. I want to tool up to make custom jewelry boxes, wooden clocks, iphone covers, etc and try to sell them. I would really love to make custom cabinet doors too, but that takes a serious commitment and is a hard market to break into.

It is an expensive thing to buy, but I have been saving for it for a while now. My wife and I decided that this was a good way to go to start to build something we can do for retirement and/or a fall back should I loose my job in this uncertain economy.
dirktheeng

Video Blog 4

Postby dirktheeng » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:36 am

Here's the 4th video. It discusses the z axis as well as problems I ran into and my fixes. Enjoy!

Regarding the missing parts: I was one of the first customers that Ahren had for the "professional" kits and they hadn't worked out all the distribution issues of the kit. If you order one of them, I would definately expect that you wouldn't be missing anything at this point. They have had time to work out all the isues.
dirktheeng

Postby BenJackson » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:31 am

Ace HW will have your M8 bolt.

One part I will retain from my design if I buy that kit is the table. Welded steel with a shelf for 4x8 sheet storage underneath.
BenJackson

Postby dirktheeng » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:14 am

yea. we live in such a small town that we have very limited access to anything. Lowes is basically the only thing around now, and they don't even carry all that is on the website. Anyhow, it was Ahren's responsibility to make it right. He sent me extra precision washers too. If I don't have washers between the carriage and the motor mount the pinion can rub against the side of the aluminum extrusion. I just moved on to other parts of the build and waited. Ahren was great with the customer service. He really does a lot to make sure his customers are happy and satisfied. I wish all my experiences were as positive as with CNC Router Parts.

Re the table: A steel welded frame would have been GREAT. I wish I could have made one at work on my off hours, but that could have gotten me in real trouble nowadays. I don't have a welder at home, nor do I have a large surface that is anywhere close to flat (except my router table now). If I could have done something different, I would have. However, this table was several hundred dollars cheaper than the next best alternative.

Besides, with my ideal shop plans, I have ideas for sheet storage elsewhere. I can fit them against the wall vertically. It would be best to store them flat and horizontal, but that takes a lot of space.

Maybe someday I will replace it. I certainty have the knowledge and skill to weld and build a steel table... I am just missing the tools.
dirktheeng

Next

Return to Build Logs