Delta ORD Bot

Post your build logs here

Re: Delta ORD Bot

Postby greenvandan » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:20 pm

At work we usually use a waterborne lacquer like Fuhr. It's acrylic based and they dry way faster than the polyurethanes, it can be sanded and recoated in like 15 minutes. They also seem to leave less brush marks etc. I don't know if the stuff at the home stores have those same qualities. I guess if quick was what I was after and didn't have a spray rig, I'd go for a canned lacquer.
greenvandan

Sealed the wood

Postby bdring » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:46 pm

I found some Minwax water based acrylic on the shelf. It does dry fast. I put on a couple coats. I needed to get it on quickly so there are a few brush strokes. At least it is protected from dirt and moisture now.

I soldered on all the motor and limit switch wires.

I added some screw on rubber bumper feet to the bottom. I moved them in from the edge so you can't see them. It looks like it is floating in the air.

The Digikey order arrived with my little 30mm hot end fan, the super floppy 16awg wire and resistors for my hot bed.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby Enraged » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:28 pm

If you have time, you should put some LEDs on the bottom, that would really make it look like its floating
Enraged

3 Axis Assembled

Postby bdring » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:57 pm

I have the 3 axes assembled and now. I have the p/s, motors and limit switches wired. I will probably try running the motors tomorrow.

The wiring on the top will get a cover as soon as it is all tested.

3rails.JPG
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby canadianavenger » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:07 am

Lookin' good! I'm guessing the idlers at the bottom of each rail could be lifted quite a bit, as you're unlikely to ever need [or even be able to] drive the carriage all the way to the bottom. [Though I guess that really depends on the length of your arms, the size of your head plate, and the range or motion - 2 of 3 which I can't see yet :) ]
canadianavenger

Motion

Postby bdring » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:51 pm

I'm guessing the idlers at the bottom of each rail could be lifted quite a bit

I thought they looked cooler at the bottom. ;)

The motors are running. They are all going the right direction and the limits switches are functional. It is really cool to see this thing zero itself. They all rise to the top at the same time and take turns doing the double tap zero technique. I am using this build of Marlin for testing.

I have been bopping between Pronterface and Repetier Host as the front end. Pronterface is a little better at staying out of the way and just letting me do whatever I want. I am going to play with it as is for a bit because crashing a carriage at the bottom is not as traumatic as crashing the end effector into the base.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Rod Fixture

Postby bdring » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:39 pm

I made a fixture for assembling my connecting rods. This insures the rods are all 260mm long.

It has Dubro #6-32 ball ends, a 3/4" long #6-32 set screw and carbon fiber tubes. There is a little piece of heat shrink on the ends of each rod to prevent them from splitting. The 6-32 self tapped into the rods.

rod_fixture.JPG
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby SystemsGuy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:06 am

Awesome progress Bart - if you think it's cool homing, wait till you see it printing! Are those standard Misumi brackets at the base of the makerslide?
SystemsGuy

Postby bdring » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:20 pm

Are those standard Misumi brackets at the base of the MakerSlide?

The brackets are the standard cast 40mm wide brackets. They have little alignment bosses on them to align in the slots. That is handy in most cases, but I had to route pockets in the base for them.

The Makerslide is also bolted to the base using tapped holes in the center. The 4 bolts made it easy to get the rails straight. A little extra torque on the right bolt pulls the rail straight. The top plywood plates lock it in.

I have the end effector on now and was able to do a few air cuts. I have used both Repetier and Marlin. Marlin was not as smooth running. It may have been just different default settings. The motors are a little louder than I hoped. The X axis on my Hadron is super quiet and I hoped these would be similar. I guess you always have three motors at the same time, so that could be he reason.

The next step is mounting the extruder. I may just mount the Bowden extruder on top of my acrylic spool case for now.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Terms

Postby bdring » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:19 pm

The terms in the firmware are a little confusing. This is what they are referring to (I think...it is working).

delta_terms.jpg

I can't imaging doing this with without CAD tools and digital fabrication.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Build Logs