Delta ORD Bot

Post your build logs here

Fit Fab Heatshrink

Postby bdring » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:41 pm

Has anyone used this material? It claims to be flexible woven heatshrink.

FITFAB-6.jpg

Edit: I tried to buy some and it is about $150 at Digikey. I'll try something else.
Attachments
FIT Fab 1-10.pdf
(85.84 KiB) Downloaded 1276 times
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: Fit Fab Heatshrink

Postby SystemsGuy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:16 pm

Bart, we use something that looks a lot like that, but it's not from Alpha - I'll have to ask exactly what it is. The stuff we use ends up about as flexible as the "high flex" silicon heat shrink. If this is the same, the outer "cloth" style surface has a pretty high drag coefficient - I'm not sure it would be very good if it were rubbing against anything.

Also, if you are looking for some damned nice, high flex cable, take a look at Lapp Cable's "Olflex Number Coded YY Control Cable" - it's damned close to test lead sorta material, and designed for high cycle life. I've used a lot of the 1mm, 5 conductor version for Nema23 motors on moving axis.

bdring wrote:Has anyone used this material? It claims to be flexible woven heatshrink.

FITFAB-6.jpg
SystemsGuy

Base Cut

Postby bdring » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:24 am

I need to get a sense of scale for what I am building, so I cut the base. I am not sure this is the final design, but it will do for a while.

I work next door to a glass place and got them to cut me a 10" diameter piece of 1/4" thick. I will eventually put a heater under it. The material is 18mm baltic birch. It is hard to see, but it is in a shallow pocket.

I made a little housing for the Viki.

The wiring is all done underneath in routed channels. You can see holes where signals can go up the inside of the MakerSlide.

delta_base.jpg
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Rods

Postby bdring » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:19 am

I got some parts for the rods at the hobby store. I bought some 0.210 dia carbon tubes and a couple of flavors of ball rod ends.

The top ends are Traxxas 4mm ball rod ends p/n 5347. They have use a 4mm thread for the rod end and a 3mm shaft through the ball.

The lower rod ends are Dubro. They use a #6-32 thread at the rod end and a 3mm (or #4-40 probably) through the ball. They use a separate ball type washer rather than the built in boss of the Traxxas.

I liked the Dubro ball ends better. A #6-32 looks like it will work better with the tubes and the ball washer appears to give more side angle to the rod. I was going to cost about $45 for all the parts, but I found them a lot cheaper on eBay. I bought just enough for a couple rods from the hobby store. The Traxxas are about 1/3 the price.

rod_ends.JPG
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Motor Mounts

Postby bdring » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:31 am

I machined some motor mounts today. There are two HDPE pieces. The one closest to the motor mounts the limit switch and routes the wires out the side. The second piece encloses the wires. It just mounts with one screw, the the MakerSlide keeps it from rotating.

The wires are going to go out the side and into a pocket in the electronic panel so you will only see the little paracord cover portion of the wires. The switch is pretty well hidden too.

DSC00337.JPG

DSC00336.JPG

DSC00335.JPG
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Carriages

Postby bdring » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:00 pm

I printed a carriage last night. The center to center dimension on the rods is 48mm. The rods bolt to the end of the central block with one long screw. It uses a thumb screw as the limit switch trigger. That will allow easy adjustments. It also uses the same belt clamp design as the ORD Bot (not installed yet).

DSC00340.JPG

DSC00339.JPG
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Uber Complicated Plate

Postby bdring » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:29 am

This is the electronics plate, I did a ton of extra unnecessary machining on it to clean up the wiring. This will hold the power supply and Azteeg X3. The motors sit in the square cutouts.

Once it is all wired, an acrylic plate sits in the pocket and hides all the wires. You can see the step around the entire perimeter where the plate will mount, flush with the top surface.

I originally wanted to put a few coats of spar varnish on these parts, but I may not have time for that. i may just treat it with cutting board oil.

elec_plate.JPG
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Re: Delta ORD Bot

Postby madmike8 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:10 am

Buffing out wax shoe polish makes a quick easy finish for wood...
madmike8

Linear Actuator

Postby bdring » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:21 am

I finished one linear actuator. Two more to go. I have all the parts done except the carriage. I ran out of black filament. It is due tomorrow.

linear_actuator.JPG
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Wood Finish?

Postby bdring » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:28 pm

I'll probably use a water based Polyurethane or Acrylic varnish. I am not looking for a super finish, I just want to prevent stains, etc. The water based versions can usually be sanded and re-coated in hours.

What is better poly or acrylic :?:
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Build Logs