Delta ORD Bot

Post your build logs here

Re: Delta ORD Bot

Postby AVRC » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:03 pm

Will you be showing this off at PS:One tonight?
AVRC

Postby bdring » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:07 pm

I can't make it tonight or probably next week either.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Bowden Drive

Postby bdring » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:41 pm

Here is my completed Bowden drive end. It uses two printed parts. It is wide so that it bolts to the top of my cartridge. The spacers are there because I did not have the right length hardware. I have a Delrin tube fitting for my Teflon tubing. I actually used a pipe tap on the printed part and it worked fine.

I had to print this in PLA because the width kept causing warping even with a 6mm brim.
Attachments
bowden_drive.JPG
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Bowden Drive On Cartridge

Postby bdring » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:07 pm

Here it is mounted to the cartridge. I put it at the back end so I could still use the cartridge for the other printers.

bowden_cartridge.JPG
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby SystemsGuy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:43 am

Very, very nice!! It's interesting - Johann seems to be moving away from Bowden's on his latest iteration of the Kossel. I'm not 100% I understand why yet - I've managed to get really nice prints with mine,.
SystemsGuy

Re: Bowden Drive On Cartridge

Postby kbob » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:12 pm

bdring wrote:Here it is mounted to the cartridge. I put it at the back end so I could still use the cartridge for the other printers.

bowden_cartridge.JPG

How do you open the cartridge to change the spool or put the filament through the other opening? Does it require a wrench?
Bob
"If you didn't code it, it will never own you." (-:
kbob

Postby bdring » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:50 pm

The cartridge uses thumb screws to attach the removable side on the other end to the face of the extrusions. The rest of the sides mount inside the channels. The original feed end (yellow nozzle) is slightly easier to install because you can feed the filament after the spool is in. For the Bowden end you need to unroll a foot or so and feed it. I'll eventually make another cartridge specifically for the Delta.

Here is the power connection for the filament stepper. There is a hole drill in the MakerSlide and it routes inside up to the electronics are.

bowden_power_1.JPG
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

End Effector Complete

Postby bdring » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:04 pm

Here is the "completed" end effector. The block, heater, nozzle and tube are from a QU-BD. They are mounted to an old CPU heatsink. That has a small 30mm fan blowing on it. The only thing I am concerned about is the approx 15mm the filament goes on sheathed. It could kink there, but my experiments suggest it won't. It is an easy fix by mod'ing the top piece.

It might look big, but the fan impeller is about the size of a quarter. Total wight is 2.8 oz (80 grams). Most of the weight is the hot end.

end_effector.JPG
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Top Plate

Postby bdring » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:42 am

I cut and varnished the top plate. The picture is the bottom side of the top plate. The top is just flat.

The three big pockets are just to reduce the weight and create a hand hold. The mitered the edges make it more comfortable to hold. The little pockets allow wires inside the Makerslide to flip over the top and run back down a channel. The big round groove was a last minute idea that would allow me to install an acrylic panel if I decide to use one.

Everything is now wired except for the heated bed. A last minute snafu got it sent to an new anodizer who messed up. I get the raw plate back tomorrow and I need to decide what I am going to do about the bed.

I only spent about 30 seconds sanding this to get the wood bunnies off since this is really not visible.

Large Pocket: 0.50 diameter straight flute, 0.40 Deep Single Pass, 50 ipm
Miter: 0.50 diameter 45 deg bit, 0.20 deep single pass, 60 ipm
Everything else: 1/8 diameter 2 flute straight bit, 0.15 per pass, 40-60 ipm.
Total time: About 30 minutes with tool changes.

Varnish: 3 coats Minwax, Gloss water based.

top.JPG
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Extruder Running

Postby bdring » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:13 pm

I got the extruder running. Everything works fine. The cartridge resonates and amplifies the stepper noise a bit. I might add some rubber pieces under the drive mech. I might want to write a few scripts for loading and unloading the filament, because that takes a while.

Does anyone know how to program the scripts on the Repetier Printer menu?

The Z zero is now setup. That is a bit of a pain. The machine resets to the top, so you need to jog down to zero and store those values in the setup.

The last step is my heated bed. I may try a few PLA prints on cold blue tape first.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Build Logs