Delta ORD Bot

Post your build logs here

Re: Delta ORD Bot

Postby bdring » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:21 pm

I am working on a new end effector. How do like these LEDs. 8-)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Q9 ... 00_s00_i00

Bottom view.

delta_lights.jpg
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby mhensen » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:36 pm

Thanks al lot for sharing your design of the Delta Ord Bot.

I have already placed my order for the makerslide parts..

But although I already ordered the parts, I was curious about the print quality, can you give any hints on that part.. I know it all depends on your build quality!!
I plan to print all the parts that I cannot buy based on the parts you've designed and hopefully it all will come together nicely.. and let somebody CNC the wood parts!

I think the Delta takes away any possible z-problems but I don't know what other problems might occur :-)

Thanks in advance!
mhensen

Postby bdring » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:50 pm

Print quality.

Honestly, the print quality is not quite up to my Hadron yet. The motion is great and I love the using Z retracts (hopping).

My extruder still needs some work. It just does not stop and restart as good as it should and that shows up on the print. A Bowden likes a lot of retract and my QU-BD nozzle does not appear to like that. With that said, the Delta Maker on kickstarter appears to be using a QU-BD with PLA.

I have a few more nozzles to try, Buddaschnozzle, J-Head and maybe a non Bowden PG35 system.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby orcinus » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:21 pm

If you get the chance, give Arcol.hu a try too.
As long as you have a fan blowing across it, it's very tolerant of retracts (at least in my experience).

There's just one thing that occasionally goes wrong with it and that's having the filament freeze inside the SS barrel and plug it if you cool it too much (or extrude too cold), which is easily rectified by heating up to 210-230 and doing a quick purge (i usually just manually shove a few cm of filament through, although you can just heat up and let the extruder do the work). But, like i've said, you need to over-cool it for it to happen in the first place (two 50mm fans at full blast + extruding at 170 is what usually triggers it on mine, although it heavily depends on filament).

The first time this happened i didn't know it was as easy as that and ended up dismantling everything then cleaning the barrel and nozzle with a torch. Lots of fuss for nothing.
orcinus

Postby Zat German » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:16 am

Hey Bart, any tips on how to thread the set screw into the carbon fiber straight?
Zat German

Postby bdring » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:30 am

The rod ID is just a hair under a #6-32 diameter so you can get a tiny bit of thread with the #6-32 tap. The rod splits easily, so I put tight heatsink over the ends. I put a dab of epoxy on the threads and screwed them in. I used a fixture, but you still have a little adjustment by spinning the link. You need to spin in half turns, so the adjustments are in 0.015" increments. It is best to use a fixture.

See this post.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1783&start=20#p16479
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby Zat German » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:34 am

bdring wrote:The rod ID is just a hair under a #6-32 diameter so you can get a tiny bit of thread with the #6-32 tap.

Oh yeah, a tap self centers! I've got the fixture and everything setup like in your post. I got a little too stuck on the part about the 6-32 self tapping into the rod at the end. I think I only have metric taps, I'll have to check. Thanks.
Zat German

Postby bdring » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:13 pm

Some people use thin carbon rods that go in the center of the link. Due to the links, all rods are only in tension or compression at all times, so there is no real bending force other than what would come from vibration.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby mhensen » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:19 am

Are you running the heatbed on a separate power supply or direct from the controller (azteeg or other) and the last part I am looking for is the glassplate.. where did you get yours? Or what thickness is it?

I know, questions, questions but I have set my mind on your delta design :-)
Parts are already on their way :D
mhensen

Postby bdring » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:28 am

The heated bed is on the same supply. At first I was a little worried about it, but it works fine. Someone at ORD was playing with it and it was running at 120C :o .

I got the glass plate from the glass place next to my day job. It is 1/4" thick. They polished the edges real nice. I am not sure of the glass type, but it works fine. The price was about $35, but I needed it right away to meet my crazy 2 week deadline.

I just finished a new end effector. The QU-BD locks up with PLA. I used a Lulzbot Buda... thing. I just found out on the Delat forum that that don't work with 1.75 PLA without serious hacking. :cry:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... HPsB329Rw8

2013-02-06_18-12-21_810.jpg

2013-02-06_18-12-33_751.jpg
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Build Logs