Dubstar_04 40w Chinese Laser

Post your build logs here

Dubstar_04 40w Chinese Laser

Postby dubstar_04 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:16 pm

I have been lusting after a laser cutter for a number of years but always thought i dont *really* need one, however, my sister is due to get married this year and she wanted her invites laser cut. After we priced them up i realised i could buy a chinese machine off ebay and make the invites and it would be cost less, I could then upgrade the machine with a DSP at a later date.

This is my attempt at a build log.

It started on a cold wednesday afternoon when i finally bit the bullet and ordered the machine from qiandingzhensatisfaction on ebay. I had read lots of good things about the seller and decided my foray in to lasers would be best started with a machine from them.

The machine came well packaged and securely wrapped in about fifteen layers of bubble wrap and parcel tape. The accessories (water pump, vent pump and flexible ducting) seemed cheap but worked ok.

I gave the machine itself a good coat of looking at checking for loose wires and anything that could end the journey prematurely, all seemed ok so i plugged it in and turned it on. Low and behold the laser survived the shipping and worked!! PHEW! what a relief!!

I continued to install the terrible moshidraw software that the machine came with (why do they even bother?), draw a few shapes and sent it to the machine and...

...Well, nothing.

I contacted the seller who asked me for video proof:

I think its a waste of time me even thinking about replacing the pitiful moshiboard and simply upgrading to a DSP system. I have ordered the stepper drivers but i dont know which DSP to order. Any recommendations or build logs of a similar upgrade?
dubstar_04

Re: Dubstar_04 40w Chinese Laser

Postby mondo50m » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:41 pm

I just did the upgrade on my machine about 4 months ago. It is very easy to do, but does take time. I used the Lightobject DSP. Mine came in a kit for about $600.00. But, I do not see the kit on the site any longer. You will need to purchase the DSP, 2 stepper driver, and a power supply. I would think that if you joined the forum on LO, anyone would be able to help you out. Your machine is doing what mine did, but I had mine for a year before it went bad. There is also thread on the LO forum on the conversion process. Join the forum and read everything you can. I am very happy with my laser at this time and plan on using it as a basis for building a larger one.

Milt
mondo50m

Postby dubstar_04 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:45 pm

Hi Milt,

Thanks for your reply. The only thing i am unsure of now is if i should order the Lightobject DSP or the Thunderlaser one?

I don't understand the difference and what software they use.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan
dubstar_04

Postby dubstar_04 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:17 pm

How do i know if the laser PSU supports PWM?
dubstar_04

Postby mondo50m » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:41 pm

I have no experience with the Thunerlaser unit at all. I have the Lightobject DSP and it runs on LaserCad software. The LaserCad software is updated on a fairly regular basis. I was not aware that one could purchase the Thunderlaser unit. You can tell if your power supply is a PWM unit by looking at the 6 pin connector. It should be labeled as follows:

TH TL WP G IN 5V

The 'IN" may even be called PWM. At any rate, 'IN' is used for PWM from the AW608 DSP unit.

Milt
mondo50m

Postby dubstar_04 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:07 am

Hi Milt,

I have ordered the LightObject DSP and a new power supply, laser power supply and stepper drivers.

Whats the LaserCAD software like?
dubstar_04

Postby mondo50m » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:46 pm

The software is very easy to use. The conversion should go very easily. If you give me your email address in a PM, I will send you what diagrams and information that I have on the conversion. Don't forget to get registered on the LO forum. Lots of information there.

Milt
mondo50m

Postby dubstar_04 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:23 pm

Sent a PM.

Thank you.
dubstar_04

Return to Build Logs