Large format laser build - 24"x 48"

Post your build logs here

Re: Large format laser build - 24"x 48"

Postby clockwise » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:06 pm

TimGS wrote:Rad,
I posted the video of my first cut and one of the shock movement....
http://www.timsmachines.com/home/co2-laser

I have a ton more pictures to add...

Need to build a lift table :)) too.

Thanks again

Hi Tim,
What was the cost of the build? How much time did it take you from A-Z? I would really appreciate knowing this, as I contemplate the decision. You did a great job, great looking machine. Thanks
clockwise

Postby jwieme » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:37 am

Hi Wayne,

I'm new to this forum but I have been reading it for a couple of weeks now. I keep coming back to your machine.
I really like the frame design and I was wondering if you would share the 2D drawings you made for the frame.

It's going to take me some time but I am really excited about building a 2.x laser. (Scaled up of course). For now I am just looking forward to building the frame. I really could use some structured guidance to start if you don't mind sharing.

Thanks,

Jeff
jwieme

Postby Rad Racer » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:21 pm

Hi Jeff,

Glad you like the machine. Because this was/is intended to be a one off design I did not make a detailed design file for construction. Back on page 8 there is a PDF file showing the basic 2D sketch I used for construction. This was simply used to determine to correct cut lengths for the 8020. To simplify construction I keep all my cuts lengths is standard sizes (ie.. 1/2", 1/4", etc...) so I didn't end up with crazy panel sizes later in the assembly phase.

If you take a good look at the photos I think you see there really isn't any thing special about the frame design....it's really just a base to hold up the base plate. The base plate is the important part....it holds all the components and alignments necessary to make the laser work. Spend time on the base plate layout.....make accurate measurements of your laser tube, motors, rails, and such entering these into CAD. Getting the base plate right is super important and makes optical alignment much easier when you get to that step in the process.

hope this helps,
Wayne
Rad Racer

Postby jwieme » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:16 pm

Thanks Wayne,

I didn't realize the pdf you provided was the sketch you were referring to in the write up. Thanks.

I am also considering the base (platform) in my design.
I am hoping to use a blanchard ground steel table top made for my base. At the moment I have a lot of things to consider.
I will try to keep you (everyone) posted as I make progress. This is going to be a long project. (As my budget permits)

Thanks again for your time,

Jeff
jwieme

Previous

Return to Build Logs