Flickerfly's ORD Bot Hadron Build Log

Post your build logs here

Consistent blemishes, not retraction + circles that aren't r

Postby flickerfly » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:26 am

I thought I'd figured out that my little holes were retraction, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Now I'm realizing that I'm hearing popping sounds in my prints and thinking I may be getting moisture or I'm just heating it up too high during extrusion, The heating and moisture don't really ring true though due to the consistency of the holes. Wouldn't that be inconsistent, yet I can print the same thing on two different days and it will result in the same holes in the same or nearly the same places. This includes running slicer on it two different times.

The "pimples" in this were from me trying to fix the holes using retraction, but just causing more problems. The holes remain and are consistent despite retraction settings as seen in these two prints.

I'm wondering if the circle issue is related to the holes since I seem to see them more on round parts and the round parts are stretching on the X axis so maybe pulling the plastic. Here's the view from above on some round prints.

I'll keep studying, but if you have some experience that suggests what I'm seeing, I'll gladly take it.
flickerfly

Re: Flickerfly's ORD Bot Hadron Build Log

Postby orcinus » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:48 pm

I've had similar issues caused by outgassing from the filament, yeah.

And no, it doesn't have to be irregular. The "bubbling" that i've seen was very regular in straight sections.
If the filament was soaked consistently, the steam will build up periodically.

Worth trying another filament / lowering the temps so you can eliminate outgassing as the cause.
orcinus

Thanks - Lowering Extruder Temps

Postby flickerfly » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:09 pm

Thanks Orcinus, it's interesting that you'd see it consistently like that. I'll go ahead and lower the extruder temperature a bit and see if things change.
flickerfly

Re: Thanks - Lowering Extruder Temps

Postby kbob » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:45 pm

flickerfly wrote:Thanks Orcinus, it's interesting that you'd see it consistently like that. I'll go ahead and lower the extruder temperature a bit and see if things change.

You can also try storing your filament in dessicant to remove any moisture.
Bob
"If you didn't code it, it will never own you." (-:
kbob

The Proper Care and Storage of ABS

Postby flickerfly » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:32 pm

I've been meaning to build a spool holder container for my filament. I have some plexiglass that may be a good start. maybe I can just fill the bottom with rice too.

Right now it is just a dowel across a couple boxes. What sort of humidity causes problems like this? I don't think of the room it is in as generally high in humidity.
flickerfly

Making round circles and filament boxes

Postby flickerfly » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:18 am

I'm back from vacationing and recovering from vacation and stuff. Now to get this thing doing circles...

I'm really stumped on this making round circles thing. I checked my X and Y calculations and confirmed that when I tell this thing to move 10mm in either axis it indeed does. I wonder if it is related to why the walls of my prints aren't always aligned with my infill. There is a gap sometimes as seen in this picture. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I also printed out the ord bot logo in its not so round state and a handle for my new filament box built with my Dad from my grandfather's home cut lumber using trees from his grandfather's land (which is still in the family). My daughter helped us build it. I love the story and history in that box!

flickerfly

Postby TLHarrell » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:10 pm

I'm not an expert, but maybe take a look at your acceleration and jerk settings for the circles. And for the infill not connecting, perhaps your calibration for flow is off? I'd make the assumption that there's not quite enough plastic spreading out to make the proper connection.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Postby orcinus » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:22 pm

If your infill and perimeter don't connect only on one side or one axis, and the axes move the correct number of mm when you issue a G command (and it's not a matter of steppers skipping), then it's likely backlash. Sounds weird, but it'll sometimes pop up in, say, circles, but not in squares for some reason (current theory - the changes in speed over a circle's X and Y function exacerbate it).

Check your belts, tighten them if not tight, and more importantly, check your belt clamps. You can have a tight belt and loose clamp, causing backlash despite a taut belt. Also check the pulleys just in case (are they centered, are they eccentric, are the set screws tightened).
orcinus

Belt Backlash makes strange circles

Postby flickerfly » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:36 am

Ah, the belts! Yep, I took another crack at tightening the X-Axis and the calibration thing I'm printing looks much more round. :D

Thank you!

I have some other issues, but I just carried it back and forth from the hackerspace. I think that may be bed level issues.

Edit: I spoke too soon, as this is printing more it is showing it's not so rounded-ness. It might be a bit better though. I'll have to print something I printed before to be sure.

flickerfly

Quick Summary of things to deal with

Postby flickerfly » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:00 pm

For the sake of completeness, I'm asking elsewhere about my Z-axis hanging up. http://www.buildlog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2192

I haven't yet figured out why the circles aren't round. I can't figure out if I should blame hardware or software and I'm also not sure why I'm getting those holes in the prints. I should probably set aside time to focus a bit more on just one problem, but I think I need to get my wiring cleaned up first so that nest of potential issues is out of the way.
Last edited by flickerfly on Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flickerfly

PreviousNext

Return to Build Logs