Flickerfly's ORD Bot Hadron Build Log

Post your build logs here

To depend on the math... but which math?

Postby flickerfly » Wed May 29, 2013 2:33 pm

Gadroc wrote:it's best practice now a days to stick with the mathematically calculated values.

Is there a place you'd recommend where the calculations are all in once place and up-to-date?

As you pointed out, there are tons of sources of varying ages and correctness. There is a ton of time in doing that and little of that can I share with my 6yr old. Going with the Ord Bot has the fortunate advantage of skipping some of this since the platform is pretty consistent. (Thanks bdring!)
flickerfly

Re: To depend on the math... but which math?

Postby Gadroc » Wed May 29, 2013 2:56 pm

flickerfly wrote:Is there a place you'd recommend where the calculations are all in once place and up-to-date?

As you pointed out, there are tons of sources of varying ages and correctness. There is a ton of time in doing that and little of that can I share with my 6yr old. Going with the Ord Bot has the fortunate advantage of skipping some of this since the platform is pretty consistent. (Thanks bdring!)

I use the Prusa's calculators as well. The Ord Bot is not as standard as you're thinking, it's more of mechanical platform than it is a full printer. Some other builds specify a lot more down to which electronics, hot-end, belt type, etc... Those have more "out of the box" numbers or even standard firmware (see Mendel90, Tantillus, RepRapPro Mendel, etc..) That being said I'm very happy with my Ord Bot setup, but you'll find much much less information online about calibrating and configuring it than you will a more "full build" machine like some of the others. That is not to say people don't constantly tweak / change them but it seems there is usually a bigger base of people using the stock build than we see on the Ord Bot.
Gadroc

Re: To depend on the math... but which math?

Postby flickerfly » Wed May 29, 2013 3:03 pm

Gadroc wrote:The Ord Bot is not as standard as you're thinking, it's more of mechanical platform than it is a full printer.

Granted, I'm comparing it to the choices some friends of mine are making in building a RepRap Prusa Mendel right now. They have a lot more info they have to slog through, much of it in conflict with each other. When it came to the mechanical platform, where I am most weak in knowledge, it was easy. In the electronics, I have some foundation to build the knowledge on and am more comfortable there.
flickerfly

The Helios bed install, found some nice springs

Postby flickerfly » Thu May 30, 2013 4:07 am

Occasionally, my tendency to take things apart and collect parts comes in handy. I found four great springs that match each other exactly in my collection of bits. I did find that I don't have the thermistor I was planning to put in place, but then I don't have any J-B Weld to get it properly placed either so that'll wait. didn't realize when I ordered it that the Helios heated bed has pads to solder the thermistor to and bring it out to the edge of the board. That's a neat feature. I also need to get some Kapton tape to secure the edges of the insulator strips. It sure does look nice though.

IMG_20130529_191531.jpg
My junk pile spring find

:?: Any suggestions on mounting the glass on top of the heated bed?

I have imagined a few different ways, but would appreciate the benefit of others experience. I assume any mounting solution should not rise above the edge of the bed?

IMG_20130529_191605.jpg
My daughter dutifully recording a shopping list.

Oh, and my pulleys are 20-teeth pulleys so those calculations should be pretty good.
flickerfly

Re: Flickerfly's ORD Bot Hadron Build Log

Postby kbob » Thu May 30, 2013 3:18 pm

The usual way to hold the glass is with binder clips. The deluxe way is to print a set of these.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:39994

(Disclaimer. I haven't tried them.)
Bob
"If you didn't code it, it will never own you." (-:
kbob

Binder Clips or Go Deluxe

Postby flickerfly » Thu May 30, 2013 4:30 pm

Thanks KBob.

I'll have to add those glass holders to my early "to print" list. They do have a nice look about them compared to the binder clips.

ImageFrom Thing:39994
flickerfly

It's getting hot!

Postby flickerfly » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:29 am

I wired up the thermistors, j-head and helios this evening. Things are getting hot and holding temperature really well even with the ceiling fan. It's fun to watch the blinking red lights on the Azteeg X3 and Helios Hotbed go at it. It feels like life is coming to the machine.

I also completed the power supply mod. I used some spade terminals to run the wires into the Azteeg. Here you can see the two twisted black and the two twisted yellow in a sheath running off to the power supply. I also twisted two black and yellow for the heated bed to be sure I could handle the load without any problems since I didn't have a wire gage I was completely comfortable with and I kinda like twisted wire. (I've probably spent to much time with Cat5.) Also, the light fol the hotend and hotbed are on!
So you can't really see much in this image except that it's there, but I really like the look of the heat cartridge. The red on it matches the red on the EZStruder nicely. Also, I found I could, at least temporarily run the wire for the thermistor through the adapter plate's opposing side to hold it firm and steady. Also, if you have sharp enough eyes, you'll see that the extruder is simply zip-tied to the carriage at the moment.

Proof, cause software don't lie...

I'm avoiding putting any plastic through it yet because my daughter isn't around and I'd like to share that with her. I have plenty to do that isn't educational or exciting for a 6yr. old. I'll explain to her what I did, but the actual doing would simply cause her to lose attention as I think, try, think, try, think and think some more.
flickerfly

Everything but the Z

Postby flickerfly » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:35 am

When I load the Panucatt X3 Test code, it moves everything around, heats things up and generally acts much better than it did before I had the microstep jumpers in place. However, when I load the Repetier firmware on it, the Z does nothing. It does lock the motors, but it doesn't rotate. Any ideas why?

Here is a video of my Hadron doing its best to print a cube via Repetier Host and Slic3r.

EDIT: Also, I found that the ruler I was using that I thought was metric, wasn't. My 100mm run is indeed almost exactly 100mm when using a metric ruler and not an imperial one. :oops: <-- crazy yank, can't measure right in a base 10 system
flickerfly

Our first "print"

Postby flickerfly » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:58 am

My daughter is back home (along with the rest of the family) so we took some time to put the first bit of plastic through the EZstruder and j-Head. I think these pictures speak for themselves. :D

You might say I'm a bit more motivated to figure out what it Repetier-firmware or host is blocking the use of the Z-axis.
flickerfly

Extruder tweaking and mounting

Postby flickerfly » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:51 pm

Yesterday we were able to play and rework. Oddly, after I mounted the extruder firmly instead of using the zip ties that allowed it wiggle room, my print walls actually looked like every 4th layer was off or something. Previous prints looked like the layers were all aligned. It's also fun to note that my daughter knows to type in M119 when I say "check the endstops". :-)

I also was just using the default setting for EXT0_STEPS_PER_MM of 413 and it was clearly extruding a bit much. I changed that to 95.9 per bdring's measurement. This seems to be insufficient as the prints after that were stringy. I guess i need something in between.

With EXT0_STEPS_PER_MM 413 (Repetier Default)

With EXT0_STEPS_PER_MM 95.9

My more firm mounting solution for the extruder, for now. I'll come up with something better later... maybe.
flickerfly

PreviousNext

Return to Build Logs