Ord Bot "Tweak"

Post your build logs here

Re: Ord Bot "Tweak"

Postby cvoinescu » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:25 pm

That's a known bug that has been fixed, but maybe it did not make it in a stable release yet.

In line 165, replace
Code: Select all
#ifdef Z_DUAL_STEPPER_DRIVERS && Y_DUAL_STEPPER_DRIVERS
with
#if (defined(Z_DUAL_STEPPER_DRIVERS) && defined(Y_DUAL_STEPPER_DRIVERS))
cvoinescu

Postby Grebbo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:20 am

cvoinescu wrote:That's a known bug that has been fixed, but maybe it did not make it in a stable release yet.

In line 165, replace
#ifdef Z_DUAL_STEPPER_DRIVERS && Y_DUAL_STEPPER_DRIVERS
with
#if (defined(Z_DUAL_STEPPER_DRIVERS) && defined(Y_DUAL_STEPPER_DRIVERS))

Thanks for that cvoinescu

I will give that a go tonight!

well I got the Ord Bot going over the weekend and managed couple of calibration prints, I am happy to say that it all worked beyond my expectations (except for the extruder needing to be inverted)
first print was out about 1mm over 50mm and the second was +0.2 over 50mm so very happy at the moment, all axis worked superbly smooth :D
Attachments
IMG_5106.JPG
Grebbo

Postby Grebbo » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:14 am

So I guess a quick summary is in order:
Some of you might ask the obvious question of why would you buy a pretty much a complete platform just to scrap most of it and replace most parts? Well, I guess like the rest of the newcomers in to this forum, it’s easy to get excited and jump ahead of yourself without really researching the subject fully, I have finished my build with fantastic results but fell like I’m just beginning to understand, appreciate and learn the possibilities of the 3D printer.
I personally enjoy building just as much if not more that actually using the machines that I build, I have a few other random machines that never actually get used, but I do enjoy the 3D printer.
So I started with an Ord Bot Hadron which I got in a semi completed kit from Robotronics, I also got Rumba controller (which is fantastic) with Full Graphic Controller, dual power Heat Bed, a J-head and a Greg’s Wade extruder. Pretty much straight away I did not like the extruder, I’m sure there are people out there that can get those extruders working just fine but I could see that I would have a constant struggle with this thing, so I opted for a fully machined, all metal, geared extruder from Micron in Israel, the quality is fantastic, its compact, solid and so far I have had 100% no issues with it, I coupled it to the J-head and it seems to be a good match.
Next, I decided to ditch the threaded rods for some proper ball screws, 2 brand new screws including machining to my specifications and 2 ball nuts cost me around $170 AUD including shipping,
Then I went for full linear guides from Taiwan, again cut to length including pillow blocks (I got 2 extra as spares) and delivered for $340 AUD.
I have replaced most brackets with 6mm acrylic that I machined on my CNC machine and a new back bracket that I machined from aluminium plate, also made numerous other parts with either 6mm or 4.5mm acrylic.
I also plan to liquid cool my hot-ends (that’s what the pump and radiator is for) , I’m currently playing around with a water jacket that I’m designing for the J-head.

The controller (Rumba) is great, wish there was a bit more support for this controller but I guess it’s only new and all that, anyways, it was OK to configure and it will only get easier as more people start to write more about it.
One thing I was a bit concerned about was the firmware and being able to configure it correctly, but I must say that I got the machine going (80%) after my first try so if I can do it without prior “coding” experience, it mustn’t be that difficult

So far I’m printing with 3mm ABS through a 0.5mm nozzle and getting a lot better results than most I have seen on the web at 80mm/sec, I guess the real test will come once I fit the 0.2mm hot-end and start to push it a bit

The machine is super solid and stable, I have not weighted it but it’s at least twice as heavy as previously, which means there are no jerks or vibrations etc when it’s moving rapidly.

In conclusion, I would do it again, perhaps I would not buy all the things that I got originally like the Wade extruder and maybe the Ord Bot in a less complete form but beyond that I’m supper stoked with the end result.

I will try to take some better quality photos of the printer tonight and post soon,

thanks to all that gave their 2 cents worth, very much appreciated!

below is a picture of the left over parts from Ord Bot
Attachments
Left over parts.jpg
Grebbo

Previous

Return to Build Logs