Reasoning's Shapeoko 2.5-ish

Post your build logs here

Reasoning's Shapeoko 2.5-ish

Postby Reasoning » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:45 pm

Here is some preliminary information regarding the build of a CNC router. This is the machine I want to work on first. I am a hobbyist woodworker, and I think this would come in very handy.

Requirements

• Since this my first build of any CNC machine, some level of simplicity is required. The more that is available in a kit with instructions, the better.
  • Less than $1000.
  • Does not require an existing machine in order to make parts, since I don't have one.
  • As a Linux user, I wish to drive it via LinuxCNC.
  • Has a decent router (not a Dremel or knockoff).
Solution
I have looked at several kits/designs, including OX CNC, CNC router parts, and build your CNC. I think the Shapeoko 2 is going to fit my requirements the best.

• Shapeoko 2 mechanical kit
  • Nema 23 stepper motors
  • Parallel port breakout board and motor drivers
  • Heavier duty router, a DeWalt or Porter Cable or such. Will require a special mounting bracket. Hopefully this can be purchased.
  • Small fanless PC
Nice to haves
Probably in order of installation.

1. plotter functionality
  2. Homing/limit switches
  3. Tool height sensor
  4. dust blower and collector
  5. drag cutter

Research

Specific CNC routers

Software

Parts

Bill of Materials
Shapeoko 2.5is BOM Google Doc
Last edited by Reasoning on Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reasoning

Re: Reasoning's Shapeoko 2.5-ish

Postby cvoinescu » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:43 am

I am biased, but the Shapeoko 2 is a very good choice. The CRP2448 performs better, but it's significantly more expensive. The blueChick looks all right, but the assembly is much more involved. The OX is a Shapeoko clone; looks beefier, but I don't know whether the difference is significant.
cvoinescu

Postby Reasoning » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:51 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I'm skeptical about the stability of the plywood in the blueChick. I never thought of the OX as a Shapeoko clone, but now that you mention it, that kind of makes sense. I'm guessing that the rigidity of the Shapeoko will be sufficient at it's smaller size, at least for a first system build. If/when I get to a second system, who knows what will be on the market then.
Reasoning

Postby cvoinescu » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:42 pm

Well, maybe the OX is not exactly a clone, but it's more or less the same design done with V-slot instead of MakerSlide.

There's also the upcoming Shapeoko 3.
cvoinescu

Return to Build Logs