New CNC laser Build

Post your build logs here

Re: New CNC laser Build

Postby cvoinescu » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:29 pm

The antifreeze probably also acts as a biocide, so as long as you don't get stuff growing in it, you're fine. The chlorine is only an issue when part of the material you cut, both because burning clorine-containing organic materials creates toxic substances, and because one of the products is hydrogen chloride, which is corrosive and destroys the machine.
cvoinescu

Postby Techgraphix » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:03 pm

I use the same stuff as you pour in your car's radiator for cooling the engine . i have the same fluid in my machine for over 3 years now. No problems at all.
maybe the effectiveness is a few percent lower than distilled water but then your cooler has to work a bit harder maybe.. My temperature is stable at 15 degrees, also after two hours cutting at 90% power..
But i don't care if anyone else stick to destilled water and want to change that every X weeks..... i stick to coolingfluid.. preferably the blue one as it mathes the color of my machine ;-)... just kiddin' : that's what i bought a few years ago, i think it comes in purple and green aswell... same shit.. Mines can be used till -28 degrees celsius..

Kees
Techgraphix

Postby bush flyer » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:31 am

Thanks for the reply's But I'm sorry I don't understand this statement ( The chlorine is only an issue when part of the material you cut, both because burning chlorine-containing organic materials creates toxic substances, ) Do you mean The material that is being cut with the laser has chlorine in it, if so what material should be avoided,
bush flyer

Postby cvoinescu » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:11 pm

You can not cut plastics that have chlorine in their molecules. You're safe cutting acrylic (PMMA, aka Perspex, Plexiglass, Lucite etc) and polycarbonate (PC, aka Lexan, Makrolon etc). You should absolutely avoid PVC (aka vinyl), and probably other plastics and rubbers unless you know what's in them. Wood, paper and real leather are fine; plywood is usually okay, depending on the glue (if sold as "laser-grade" then you know it's safe).
cvoinescu

Postby bush flyer » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:21 pm

Many Thanks cvoinescu,
That is good information, I'm going to print up a Cut don't cut warning page, and stick it above the laser to make sure I don't cut something that could make me sick or kill me. and you Techgraphix and sshwarts have put my mind at rest about coolant for the laser.
bush flyer

Postby Fred » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:07 pm

I've been using both engine antifreeze and just plain Surrey tap water (over the summer) in my laser without problem. I did get some green growth in there when it wasn't used for a while but I just changed the water and it didn't cause any permanent problems. As far as cooling goes, the laser is really just a warm glass tube.

I'd disagree about cutting polycarbonate. It might be safe, but it just melts into a nasty blackened mess. Acrylic, plywood and card/paper are likely to be the main things you cut.

This shows you how to check if something is safe to laser: http://www.nycresistor.com/2008/08/28/h ... rnination/
Fred

Postby bush flyer » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:58 am

Great video Fred and a easy test to remember, I will certainly use this test before engraving something I don't know what it's made of.
bush flyer

Postby bush flyer » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:22 pm

I'm have a little problem as I have no wiring diagram to wire up my AWC708 all I got is the top picture attached and I would like to get some wiring checked
The first is the water protection I wired it from the instruction that came with the switch but when I run the machine I get a water protection warning.
I have the laser parameters Laser 1 water protect open. When I switch Laser 1 water protect close. the laser will run. I have it wired as in diagram 1. Can you tell me is Diagram 2 correct before I change the wiring?

The next Question is about the door switch and Stop switch can you check this diagram before I connect them up
also, will it be in the IO Parameters that I change from closed to open on both foot switch and open protection.
I appreciate any help

Mike.
Attachments
SINJOE Controller Connection Diagram.jpg
AWC708 wiring diagram
To SINJOE.jpg
Water Protection
Stop.jpg
Door switch, Stop switch
bush flyer

Postby bush flyer » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:26 pm

It took a good bit of time emailing and setting up a Skype account for video calling with Sinjoe the seller of the AWC708, but I got the answer I was looking for, the diagram 2 and the emergency stop wiring is correct. just a quick note, I was very pleased with there customer service very helpful.

My next question is the mirror mounts have little rubber O rings Do they fit in front of the mirror or behind, I think Behind but as I'm all new to this I thought it better to ask?
bush flyer

Previous

Return to Build Logs