Edmond's Buildlog.net Laser Build in SA

Post your build logs here

Re: Edmond's Buildlog.net Laser Build in SA

Postby edmond22 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:43 am

I had put the machine on the backburner for a few weeks, had bigger priorities in life but now it's back on track.

I got a nice PC for controlling it Celeron 2.4Ghz with 1.25Gb ram and a small 64Mb graphics card, so was busy loading and congiguring Mach 3 today.
I am still undecided on what CAM program to use, I have Enroute 3 and Visualmill 5.0 I would just need to write a custom post processor for either one I guess.

My homemade pulleys don't quite work so im ordering some from Stock Drive, also need to find a local supllier of 6mm drill rod.

I also got some 5/16" and 3/16" tygon tubing as well
edmond22

Postby edmond22 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:30 pm

I finally found some time to work on my machine this weekend spent most of the time sorting out the electronics and testing the driver/interface board.

It works, I have motion but only on the X and Z axis the Y axis is dead I tried swapping motors but its still dead so I think the Y axis Pololu driver is fried or faulty so I think I need to order a replacement plus a spare sometime from Bart.

I also made a air assist nozzle out of plexiglas came out really good but don't know if it will hold out.

I never got around to ordering the pulleys but my homemade ones don't seem to work to bad when the steppers are running the drive mechanisms.
edmond22

Postby edmond22 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:25 pm

Im in the process of stripping down the machine in order to fit the new makerslide profiles I've ordered from Bart.

Also ordered some V wheels from Bart, my ones had the v machined too shallow so they dont ride nicely on the V rail.

I got 3 A4988 Pololu drivers on the way too, but will see if I can get the current ones to work.

I have loaded Cut2d on my PC, battled to get the post processor to work so modified it slightly, it works 100% in mm in Mach3
edmond22

Postby edmond22 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:27 pm

All the stepper motor problems have been sorted out now, just waiting for my stuff Bart sent and then it's upgrade time and tube plus optics install :D
edmond22

Postby edmond22 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:04 pm

Collected my parcel that Bart sent me from my Post Office this morning, it contained the makerslide, new dual bearing v wheels and 3 spare pololu stepper drivers.
Bart packed it extremely well and it arrived in perfect shape.

I spent 3 hours tonight fitting the makerslide and v wheels and wow what a difference, the X and Y axis are as smooth as silk now. This makerslide is awesome stuff, thanks Bart for making this available to us hobbyists.

Next up is installing the tube and its cooling system and then tiding up the wiring a bit, with a bit of luck I might be up and running by next weekend.
Attachments
04022012253.jpg
makerslide installed
edmond22

Edmond's Buildlog.net Laser Build in SA\Almost there

Postby edmond22 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:11 pm

I done a bit more on the machine this weekend, mirrors installed and aligned, table is installed but I still need to fasten down the diamond mesh and make some rulers and a lay for the material on the table.
Laser tube power supply still needs to be wired up along with the limit switches.

I found a nice heater radiator from a car, its a copper unit just need some fans for it.

11022012260.jpg
Official Image
edmond22

Postby edmond22 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:36 pm

Machine is almost up and running, fired up the laser tube for the first time today just to see where I stand with the mirror alignment, they are a bit off but I love the sound and blue glow of the laser tube when its firing.

The wiring is a bit of a rats nest must still try and tidy it up a bit.

Also the tube is just running a makeshift cooling system using a 10l bucket and a water feature pump.

I had to modify the Mach3 post processor for Cut2d it kept changing to imperial units when I opened the G code in Mach3, found the problem just changed G70 to G71 and its sorted, if anyone wants the mm post processor drop me a pm or I will attach it with my next update.
edmond22

Postby edmond22 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:31 pm

Heres the mm mach3 post processor for Cut2d as promised.
Open it up in notepad and save as a .pp file
Attachments
Laser_Mach3.txt
(4.42 KiB) Downloaded 1283 times
edmond22

Postby soehler » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:04 pm

Got it tks

Sergio
soehler

Postby Greolt » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:32 pm

Just a couple of notes about yuor Post Processor.

In the header you have G21and G71. These both do the same thing. Set to MM.

You have a E1P1 in the first feed move which turns the laser on. But there is no similar command for a first arc move.

So if you were to cut a just an arc or circle. the laser won't turn on.

Greolt
Greolt

PreviousNext

Return to Build Logs