Edmond's Buildlog.net Laser Build in SA

Post your build logs here

Re: Edmond's Buildlog.net Laser Build in SA

Postby soehler » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:35 pm

Panel looks great, just as I am planning mine !

Congrats

Sergio
soehler

Postby trwalters001 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:08 am

Nice panel!

Can you give us the details on how you made it?

Thanks!

Tim
trwalters001

Postby edmond22 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:59 pm

Thanks for the nice remarks :D

I drew it up in Corel Draw X3 then laser engraved all the lettering and cut the panel out, I then filled the engraved text with automotive white paint or any other nitrocellulose based paint carefully wiping the excess paint off with a methylated spirits soaked cloth, I done it on the one laser engraver I operate at work in my own time.I used 3mm cast black acrylic as the material of choice.

I started assembling the gantry tonight but have a few hitches to sort out, I need to remake the laser car this time moving the belt attachment slots 4mm towards the front of the laser car to get the belt to run straight as my stepper motors have non removable timing pulleys on them, I also need to make a plan with the idler bearing, it has way to much slop, I might try making the bracket out of a thicker material to accomodate two bearings and using 6mm rod instead of a machine screw, I woould just have to mill a step where the bracket attaches to the gantry so that piece remains 6mm thick to avoid belt alignment issues.
edmond22

Postby BenJackson » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:27 am

You can also raster with the paper still on the acrylic, then paint using the remaining paper as a mask, then peel off the paper.
BenJackson

Postby edmond22 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:50 pm

Finally my 20mm x 20mm strut profiles arrived :D after waiting almost a month, so maybe I can start building the frame this weekend.

I have made the modified brackets for the gantry motor and idler they work perfect spacing the motor and idler bearing 4mm out from the gantry, Im also running double bearings on the idler bracket and will switch to 6mm rod to get rid of some of the slop. The diy timing pulleys dont quite work, the belt tries to climb out of them, so im gonna make some smooth idler pulleys and order 2 x 20tooth 6mm bore MXL timing pulleys from Stock Drive, unless someone on this forum has 2 they want to part with ;)

I need to buy a few sockets,plugs and wire to sort out the electronics, will try to get them this Saturday.
edmond22

Postby edmond22 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:49 pm

I started cutting the 20mm x 20mm extrusions into the various lengths this past weekend, I managed to assemble the table extrusions but the special T nuts that come with the corner brackets have a mind of their own. they sometimes rotate and pull out the groove.

I made some smooth idler pulleys, they work like a charm.

I managed to get some D Sub 9 and 25 pin sockets,plugs and hoods to make up a parallel port cable and for the interface board connectors. It cost me about $5 for 2 x 9 pin plugs, 2 x 9 pin sockets,4 x 9 pin hoods,2 x 25 pin sockets and 2 x 25 pin hoods and 1m length of screened 8 core cable

I plan on assembling the frame this coming weekend, I still need to order another length of 20 x 40mm profile.
edmond22

Postby edmond22 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:30 pm

At long last I got a chance to work on the frame and completed it, I ran out of 20 x 40mm profile and since my budget has already run out, I made a plan for the bottom braces drilling and tapping then bolting two 20 x 20mm profiles together, as soon as the machine is up and running and making money I will replace it with the proper 20 x 40mm profile.

I started on the Y rails and assembling a little of the Z lift pieces in the frame, next weekend I want to finish the Y rails and assemble the whole XY assembly in the frame.
Electronics will be next on my list after that.

I discovered a cheap alternative here in SA for the T nuts, simply use M5 square nuts they drop in the profile grooves even when you cant access the ends but as soon as you thread screws in them they pull straight and sit nicely in the groove as the screws prevent them from pulling out, they just catch in the slot but it should be ok for mounting the skins etc, for rigid joints I will still use the special T nuts that come with the corner brackets.
Attachments
16072011174.jpg
frame
edmond22

Postby edmond22 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:55 pm

I made some good progress this weekend, I installed the Y axis rails and the Z axis lift components I still need to add the idler belt tensioner.
Next on the list is to install the gantry and sort out the electronics
Attachments
24072011179.jpg
edmond22

Postby edmond22 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:43 pm

I tried to assemble and fit the gantry but ran into some problems see my other post.

I managed to get the funds together for the laser tube and the other bits I still need so during the week I need to order the tube from Coletech.

I might also order the proper timing pulleys from Stock Drive.
edmond22

Postby edmond22 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:59 pm

Laser tube was ordered 5 minutes ago from digitalzoneproducts(one of lovehappyshoppings many aliases) shipping costs were almost $300 has to get sent via DHL Express.

Gantry seems to be running ok, busy with the Y axis mechanics now.

Also got the 24V 6.5A SWPSU for the stepper driver board and got some wire along with 6 microswitches for the limit switches.

Extractor tubing is on its way too and I have a Ryobi portable extractor I plan to use going to stick the extractor output pipe into my outdoor built in bbq's chimney.

I plan to be up and running by the end of the month hold thumbs :)
edmond22

PreviousNext

Return to Build Logs