Edmond's Buildlog.net Laser Build in SA

Post your build logs here

Re: Edmond's Buildlog.net Laser Build in SA

Postby edmond22 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:11 pm

I built up the driver/interface board I bought from Bart, it took about 2 hours there's a lot of soldering on it but it's straightforward to assemble.
Just waiting on the 20 x 20 and 20 x 40 profiles to arrive so I can start with the frame.
edmond22

Postby edmond22 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:32 pm

1 length of 20 x 40mm profile arrived yesterday, the 7 lengths of 20 x 20mm profile have still not arrived, they seem to have got lost between the UK and SA, RS components cant tell me yet where they are or why, so much for the 4-6 working days they say guess it will be the last time I use them.
I really wanted to start on the frame tomorrow, it looks like everything is going wrong on this build :(

On a better note the Laser PSU is on its way from love-happyshopping and there is a parcel from Bart waiting at the post office for me :D

I started assembling the idler pulley brackets and sorting out all the fasteners.
edmond22

Postby edmond22 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:44 pm

Made a little progress this weekend, assembled the acrylic parts
18062011142.jpg
acrylic parts assembled

I got the interface panel components and timing belts from the Post Office on Saturday, thanks again Bart.
I need to cut and engrave the interface panel this week, so that can be assembled and wired up so long.
Still waiting to find out what happened to my 7 x 3m lengths of 20 x 20mm strut profile, hopefully they will let me know tomorrow.
edmond22

Postby edmond22 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:56 pm

The laser power supply arrived today, all I can say is WOW 4 days to get from China to Cape Town, will definitely use love-happyshopping again, I noticed it has a test button and 3 leds on the side labelled TL,WP and Laser are these standard on thes PSU's

The 20 x 20mm strut profiles are on the way or so they say.
edmond22

Postby J45on » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:58 pm

edmond22 wrote:The laser power supply arrived today, all I can say is WOW 4 days to get from China to Cape Town, will definitely use love-happyshopping again, I noticed it has a test button and 3 leds on the side labelled TL,WP and Laser are these standard on thes PSU's

Do you have a picture of your PSU ?
I'm planning to order my tube and PSU from love-happyshoping this week :)
EDIT I was planning to order from love-happyshoping they no longer appear to be a seller on ebay
J45on

Postby edmond22 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:06 pm

Heres a pic of the 40W 220V model Laser PSU I got from love-happyshopping
21062011144.jpg
Laser PSU

The 20 x 20mm strut profiles should be here on Thursday, big up to RS Components for sorting them out, they were still laying at their freight companies depot.

I made the interface panel today, will take a pic of it tomorrow with all the switches and meter installed, I engraved all the text for the various controls and then filled them with white paint, btw I made it from 3mm black cast acrylic
edmond22

Postby BenJackson » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:48 pm

That PSU looks identical to the one I got, right down to the bent mounting tab. It does look like the "AC 110" has been wiped off, though. Is 220 right for SA?

To test fire all I had to do was hook up the pot between the G/IN/5V terminals and press "TEST". The "WP" interlock was not required. Currently I have WP tied to G (defeating the water interlock) and the panel button tied between TL and G. TH is floating. It looks like you can use TL/TH concurrently (either one fires the laser) while power is always modulated by IN.

If I ever figure out what the right max power is (18ma???) I plan to wire some additional resistors in series with the pot so that its travel range is from "just enough to fire" to "100%" rather than from "not nearly enough to fire" to "too much".
BenJackson

Postby edmond22 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:20 pm

Yes 220V is right for South Africa.
Thanks for the test firing tip Ben, I will try it when I get my laser tube

I made some more timing pulleys today, the bigger ones for the Z axis.

Looks like there's a curse on my 20 x 20mm strut profiles, I found out today that they are still at the freight depot in the UK and not the freight depot in SA like they told me yesterday, so holding thumbs they get delivered next week sometime, its a pity there are only 2 suppliers of the strut profiles in SA, I think next time I will try the other supplier but they are 15% more expensive but they hold the stock locally.

I have the 20 x 40mm strut profile safely tucked in my garage, so will cut it the weekend, I dont know what to with the gantry and Y strut profile as Bosch Rexroth only make a 20 x 40mm profile with 6 grooves it unlike the 4 groove flat top 20 x 40mm Misumi profile, if push comes to shove I will use 2mm aluminium strips to make the flat on top or see how else I can mount the V rails, maybe redrill them and use M3 button head cap screws.
edmond22

Postby edmond22 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:38 pm

I finshed the Interface Panel this evening and also started drilling and tapping the holes for the V rails on the Gantry
Attachments
24062011152.jpg
Interface Panel
edmond22

Postby J45on » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:04 pm

Your Interface Panel is a work of art :)
Nice job
J45on

PreviousNext

Return to Build Logs