Edmond's Buildlog.net Laser Build in SA

Post your build logs here

Re: Edmond's Buildlog.net Laser Build in SA

Postby edmond22 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:49 pm

Started wiring up the stepper motors, limit switches etc.

Wood electronics mounting base will get cut tomorrow and then all the electronics will get installed over this coming weekend.

Got confirmation of my laser tube been shipped from digitalzoneproducts(aka lovehappyshopping) so it might be here by friday.
edmond22

Postby edmond22 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:46 pm

more diaster, the laser tube won't ship out unless I pay another $80 for the extra packaging costs and because i live in a remote area seriously wtf
Im going to get them to refund me my money and rather get my tube from cnccoletech.

A more positive note is that a found a local supplier of Tygon tubing for about $4/m for the 1/4" one
edmond22

Postby edmond22 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:46 pm

Tube has been ordered from CNCColetech, so far I have had excellent communication from them, I didn't buy it off ebay i ordered it directly from CNCColetech.

I started installing the electrics today, positioning the driver and power supply units etc.

I plan on cutting some of the skins during next week I will cut them from foam board(forex) in the meantime but eventually will replace them with Alupanel ones for safety as the beam cannot penetrate them.
edmond22

Postby quadmasta » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:42 pm

I'm interested in seeing how you receive your tube and if it's as described.
quadmasta

Postby edmond22 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:28 pm

So am I, I did specify it must be the 700mm x 50mm dia 40W tube and they do say they will send another tube if it arrives broken, we will see :?: :?:
edmond22

Postby edmond22 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:01 pm

The laser tube is on its way, I even got a tracking number :D :D :D .

Some of the skins were cut today as well
edmond22

Postby edmond22 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:41 pm

I gave working on the machine a break this weekend but will start on it agan next weekend.

I need to finish wiring up the electronics and then test them and the motion systems, I still need to get a parallel port card for my old pc.

I also need to finish the skins, the machine will have a blue and black skin theme.
edmond22

Re: Edmond's Buildlog.net Laser Build in SA/We have a tube

Postby edmond22 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:09 pm

My tube arrived this morning via DHL Express, and its in 100% condition even though the packaging isn't as good as lovehappyshopping's ones.

Its the 700mm x 50mm model as per the details I gave CNCColetech, will definitely order from them again, excellent communication, speedy shipping from them.

I noticed the tube has some moisture inside, is this from them checking for leaks by dipping the tube in water.
I also see I can use 5/16" tubing on the glass barbs, seems a good enough fit and will secure it with cable ties just to be double sure it stays there.
Should I replace the milky coloured tubing connecting the mirror coolers to the laser main body

23082011184.jpg
Laser Tube in Box
23082011184.jpg
Laser Tube in Box
Attachments
23082011187.jpg
The tube in all its glory
edmond22

Postby bdring » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:25 pm

I think the moisture is leftover cooling water from testing. My milky white tubing started to leak within months. It was very waxy and I was able to tear it off in strips with just my fingers.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby edmond22 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:09 pm

I recut a new interface panel, the previous one placed the scres right against the alu profiles so I made the new one 15mm smaller all around.

I wired up the interface panel as well as the back electrics panel, need to test the interface board then finish the wiring.

I also need to get some distilled water for the cooling system, not quite sure what antifreeze to use, can I use coolant designed for a PC water cooling system.

Also hoping to get some expanded steel flat shhet for the table.
edmond22

PreviousNext

Return to Build Logs