air assist

Anything to do with air assist, vacuum tables, fume extraction and related...

air assist

Postby lasersafe1 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:28 pm

I am going to build the air nozzel according to your plans. Thanks! I was going to use my air compressor but then I realized it would introduce oil. Oil and optics don't mix. I see you ordered a 70l/min aquarium pump from Ebay. At the time you didn't know if this would be too little or too much. Any feelings now that you have it running?
lasersafe1

Re: air assist

Postby bdring » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:17 am

Pump: I am happy with with it. It blows more than enough air. It is a diaphragm pump so it is a little loud and does vibrate a little. I don't have it mounted inside the enclosure so the vibration is not an issue. I have a ball valve on the back of my enclosure where I can set the amount of air. Sometimes when cutting paper it is overkill, blowing things around and feeding the "fire" and I turn it way down. I never really run it full open. At most, it is about 3/4. I put the pump outside so I could possibly have a dual source system so I could put a nitrogen tank on. I think that is the preferred gas for some materials.

Nozzle: Mine works fine, I have nothing to compare it too, so I don't know if it could be improved. I had a friend make it, so I tried to keep it simple. As I understand it, you want the air to keep smoke off the lens, and clean it out of the beam path. I though if you totally engineered the perfect nozzle, it would be fun to have it made at Shapeways (http://www.shapeways.com/). They are doing some amazing things with sintered stainless steel. You could make it out of SLA plastic too.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby lasersafe1 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:52 am

Act now and act fast if you want this deal. Looks nice for an air pump.
Attachments
snap.jpg
snap.jpg (142.33 KiB) Viewed 17210 times
lasersafe1

Postby bdring » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:36 am

Those can be very, very noisy. I almost bought their air brush pump. Quiet, but not the best price.

Nice hose though :D
airbrush.gif
airbrush.gif (44.69 KiB) Viewed 17209 times
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby iGull » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:06 am

Hi

I just purchased a Hailea ACO-308 which is the 45 litres/min 30W diaphragm/piston pond aerator pump. It was considerably cheaper than the 70 litres/min version (at least here in the UK).
I was a wee bit concerned that it might not be powerful enough after reading some of the other posts on the 70 litre pump, but shouldn't have been - with the standard open-ended hose supplied (5mm ID), it will easily blow out a match at 300mm (about 12" in US dollars :-) ) and with the bore reduced by 50%, will do the same at 150mm. I can't think of a more qualitative test with the 'instruments' at hand - apart from saying that it will blow it's own box off the end of table easily and will be good for blowing up airbeds if all else fails LOL.

Noise-wise, reasonably quiet if there is a bit of load on it (pipe restriction) - left free without the brass nozzle fitting, the diaphragm rattles a bit. I haven't checked if there is any flow adjust, but I don't see anything in the instructions.

Bart's comment (I think it was Bart?) about the air pulsing and perhaps adding a tank - I think that a decent length of thinnish wall surgical tubing from the pump up to the tygon tube going to the nozzle should even out the flow sufficiently - perhaps just use surgical or model I/C engine silicone fuel tube all the way ?

Only other comment would be to make sure that the pump feet are restrained as it will 'walk about' if left to itself :-) My pump will be in the base of the cutter as I'm building a floor mounted version.

Cheers

Neil
EMOs are a sign of weakness ...
iGull

Return to Air Assist/Vacuum/Fume Extraction