Exploroatory laser build questions

General Forum Stuff...Introduce yourself

Re: Exploroatory laser build questions

Postby Phil B » Mon May 14, 2012 8:07 pm

I’ve seen video of the dsp panel being used, does the Retina Engrave system have a way to do all the same (or enough of) those functions?

It’s pretty much looking like diy or nothing at this point. Still need to determine the envelope size and then decide to pull the trigger or not. I’m thinking 100w at this point.

PMB
http://benchmark.20m.com
Phil B

Postby TLHarrell » Mon May 14, 2012 8:21 pm

Retina Engrave does pretty much everything the DSP does. The company that produces it is always adding new features. It now includes 3D engraving in the latest software (although they do this by doing multiple raster passes to get around the limitations of switching speed of a CO2 laser). The LO DSP is well supported here, and Marco is on this forum often. Either way, both are excellent choices of electronics packages.

When you decide to pull the trigger on the build, there is a ton of support available here. Since you are going for a design of a larger machine, I would recommend taking a look at the threads by others with larger setups so you get a feel for it. A larger axis like you're contemplating will bring it's own complications. It's good to see what others have encountered.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Postby Phil B » Thu May 31, 2012 8:44 pm

Here's another question of dubious origin.

It's my understanding now that a 100-120w laser makes a somewhat decent cutter but not nessesarily a good engraver and vis versa for say a 40-60w laser.

So would it not be possible to build a machine that included both a high power tube and a medium power one?

I envision a dual head - dual tube - dual power supply - dual optics setup. Power selection would be totally manual.

Phil
Phil B

Postby TLHarrell » Thu May 31, 2012 9:05 pm

The larger the tube, the higher power needed to meet minimum to fire. At 100-120w, you're still in a decent enough range for engraving. Depends on the materials. Others here may have more input into this as I only have the 40w.

As far as combining tubes, I don't think anybody's done it or even looked at doing it as it's a massive complication. It brings in issues with switching power, mirror alignment, beam combining, cooling. All in a larger format laser which in itself is more difficult to align due to the axis lengths. It'd be simpler to build two lasers.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Postby royco » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:36 pm

Awesome information here! Thanks TLHarrell / Phil.

I too am exploring a laser build but also looking at what Full Spectrum was showing at the Makerfaire which seems like a new revision of their Desktop laser. At this point I am still going for the build and want to make sure I know what I am getting myself into.
royco

Previous

Return to General Discussion