ViKi LCD

General Forum Stuff...Introduce yourself

Re: ViKi LCD

Postby bloomingtonmike » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:33 pm

I got that note too. I have not seen anything as of deliveries yesterday.

I plan to use it with a ramps.
bloomingtonmike

Postby orcinus » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:32 pm

So where's everyone mounting their panel on the ORD Bot?

I used to have (well, still have) an LCD + a membrane matrix keyboard on the electronics tray, on the front.
The gantry would obscure them when lifted all the way up, but it's rarely there (except when homing), so that wasn't a big deal.

Obviously, i can't fit ViKi there comfortably, as it's much thicker (+ if i stick a card in it, it will protrude) and will interfere with the gantry.
orcinus

Postby bloomingtonmike » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:58 am

I have the reprapdiscount lcd mounted on radio shack black plastic standoffs and its works fine on the front. The viki is thinner than that and the same bolt pattern.

Is it easy to connect to ramps and configure in Marlin???
bloomingtonmike

Postby orcinus » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:41 am

Apparently, it's easier to connect to RAMPS than to Azteeg.
Just tried to get it going with Azteeg and Repetier and didn't get far.

According to a comment on Repetier Firmware repo on github, the SDA and SCL pins are reversed in Azteeg docs. Which explains why i couldn't get it to work at all. Also, with RAMPS you won't have problems with getting the microSD slot to work. Azteeg X3 already has one and, currently, there's no way to disable that one and use the one on the ViKi (i believe a version of Repetier that does that is in the works). Also, no support for LEDs yet.

Not sure about Marlin, but probably a similar affair - you'll need a special branch of Marlin that does control panels over I2C and you'll probably need to poke around pins.h a bit.

In other news, i've just realized i can mount the ViKi in the same place i had my display and keypad - it's actually not much thicker (if at all) than the display i was using. I'm just not sure how to route the cables - i've had them soldered 90 deg. on my display, the pin headers on the ViKi are straight. I might unsolder them and solder in 90 deg ones...
orcinus

Postby orcinus » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:43 am

orcinus wrote:I'm just not sure how to route the cables - i've had them soldered 90 deg. on my display, the pin headers on the ViKi are straight. I might unsolder them and solder in 90 deg ones...

No, i might not.
Just realized i've only got straight SMT pin headers too...

Also, another thing i've just found mentioned - apparently, the cables that come with the ViKi are too long for reliable I2C comms except at extremely low clocks (50kHz).
orcinus

Postby Wired1 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:45 am

I have the Viki running on an Azteeg X3 with marlin firmware and it all works fine on the test bench including printing from the SD card with the standard cables it came with. I have an early Azteeg X3 on another printer and it initially had some issues with interference on the serial line causing Pronterface to drop out so there may be problems with the unshielded leads for the Viki display when I get it installed on the printer depending on where I mount the panel and controller on the printer.
Redwood Valley, Nelson, New Zealand
Open beam Prism blog ~ Thingiverse ~ YouTube ~ Printer webcam
Wired1

Postby gyrogearloose » Wed May 01, 2013 7:39 am

Wired1 wrote:I have the Viki running on an Azteeg X3 with marlin firmware and it all works fine on the test bench including printing from the SD card with the standard cables it came with. I have an early Azteeg X3 on another printer and it initially had some issues with interference on the serial line causing Pronterface to drop out so there may be problems with the unshielded leads for the Viki display when I get it installed on the printer depending on where I mount the panel and controller on the printer.

How did you figure out to connect it to the X3? I have been on to Roy for 2 weeks now to send me a connection schematic showing which pins connect to the X1 board. So far I received a pinout table which turns out yo be incorrect. Roy mentions pins which are not on the X1 diagram. I am getting quite frustrated with this. He has sold dozens of these already without a instructions link on his website. He says the panel has been tested and works with the X1 and X3 boards. Which means he must know how to hook them up and configure them, right? I am attaching the document I got from Roy. Can you help me to get it going?
Attachments
Viki LCD pins for various controllers.xls
(9 KiB) Downloaded 1152 times
gyrogearloose

Postby SystemsGuy » Thu May 02, 2013 12:18 am

I think Roy's a victim of his own success. Take a look at this thread, I have mine hooked up and working with my X3. Do note that you will need to disable the SD slot on teh X3 to use the one on the ViKi.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searc ... tGwtHNU0AJ

Roy has finally posed X3 1.1 wiring diagrams on his site, so that's progress!
SystemsGuy

Postby gyrogearloose » Thu May 02, 2013 4:13 am

SystemsGuy wrote:I think Roy's a victim of his own success. Take a look at this thread, I have mine hooked up and working with my X3. Do note that you will need to disable the SD slot on teh X3 to use the one on the ViKi.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searc ... tGwtHNU0AJ

Roy has finally posed X3 1.1 wiring diagrams on his site, so that's progress!

Thanks for that. I want to hook mine up the X1 board though. My X3 has blown up. Roy writes on his site: "Works tested with the X1 and X3 controllers". This implies he hooked them up at some stage and got them working. When I quizzed him on this, he replied that he forgot how he did it. I am starting to get really pissed off. How can someone who designs such great looking products be so unprofessional with customer relations? Maybe he is selling to cheap and tries to do everything by himself. This does not work. If you cannot do it, get some help, Roy and charge a bit more. I would prefer to pay a few bucks extra but get good support with it. As it is, I got the Viki panel at a ripper price, but cannot use it.
gyrogearloose

Postby bloomingtonmike » Thu May 02, 2013 5:35 am

http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?94,144780,201367#msg-201367

Read that thread.

Wired1 has it figured out. Mine worked 1st try. I am trying an 8gb sd card though and I can see the files but cannot select them.
bloomingtonmike

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion