Laser pages confusing for newcomers?

General Forum Stuff...Introduce yourself

Laser pages confusing for newcomers?

Postby incognico » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:25 am

Hi all,

Just wanted to lay it out there that as a newbie I found/find the site quite confusing. Several links from other CNC websites (and indeed some of my Google searches for open source CNC laser) lead directly to: http://www.buildlog.net/cnc_laser/index.php. There is nothing on this page to indicate that there is an updated design to be considered, neither on the page itself or the linked BOM, drawings, or "kit" pages - which are complete with pricing and buy it now buttons. Indeed the drawings page has a bold title "Version 2.0" which had me convinced that I was correctly viewing the "second generation" of the design that I had come here searching for.

From what I now understand, 2.x (and not the unfortunately named 2.0) is the most current design, but I still can't seem to find an authoritative page that documents this.

I must admit that spending a few days looking around the site and comparing dates on various drawings, photos, and posts, has me a lot more confident. The new drawings page which automatically links to the newest version of drawings is fantastic, as is the BOM generator. However I can't help but think that my initial confusion could easily have been avoided with a short note at the top of the older pages stating that there is a new generation to consider. Also perhaps a page that explains the project life cycle so far and lists the various versions with some sort of timeline.

I would also like to add that I completely understand that this is an open source project and it is up to the end user to do what they will with any/all information. I am simply pointing out that I was a little intimidated when I first started looking at the information and as such I was less likely to pursue this project and in turn be able to contribute my experiences and ideas back into the community.

Anyone else feel the same, or am I having a particularly bad week? :D

--Nick
incognico

Re: Laser pages confusing for newcomers?

Postby bdring » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:51 pm

Sorry about any confusion you had. I added a note to the top of that page, but there are hundreds of pages, entries and blog post related to older machines and information. I don't have time to redirect all of them. The ideal place to start with buildlog.net is on the home page http://www.buildlog.net
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby SSW » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:57 pm

Hi Nick,

I'm also pretty new and just starting my laser build. I felt EXACTLY as you do. I have a solid sense of gratitude toward Bart for putting this awesome project together and sharing it with us, but was confused at first with the organization. In a way it's kind of organic. Definitely dynamic.

Once I jumped in and dug around, asked some questions, and did some reading on the forums, it's coming together and making sense. It's like joining a new club with a lot of seasoned members to help in getting you up to speed.

I'd say it's a lot like my garage/shop. A visitor might look in and gasp :o , but I know where everything is! :D
-- Bernie
SSW

Postby incognico » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:14 am

Thanks bdring, that is great. I suspect that will really help new visitors! In my short time here I have been very impressed with your prompt attention to suggestions such as this.

Appreciate the comments SSW - I suspect that if you and I felt this way then a good percentage of new visitors would be in the same boat. I like the garage/shop analogy - mine is the same! :D

--Nick
incognico

Postby toddho » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:54 pm

Group,
Unfortunately I still am having troubles figuring out the drawings. I am trying to reconcile this page: http://www.buildlog.net/sm_laser/drawings.html from www.buildlog.net->Drawings for 2x Laser

and

http://www.buildlog.net/cnc_laser/erp/bom.html with D30025 entered for the part number

Which is correct and complete for the 2.x laser?

Thanks
Todd
toddho

Return to General Discussion