Stepper motore driver -how to pick

General Forum Stuff...Introduce yourself

Stepper motore driver -how to pick

Postby billacat » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:46 pm

Total newbee here. Just purchased the Makerslide hardware including a Nema 17 stepper motor (Rated 2.8V & 1.68A). I'm going to be using an Arduino Uno as the microcontroller for a camera slider function with move-shoot-move and continuous move while shooting capability. Any suggestions about stepper motor drivers compatible with my stepper motor?
Thanks
billacat

Re: Stepper motore driver -how to pick

Postby macona » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:29 am

billacat wrote:Total newbee here. Just purchased the Makerslide hardware including a Nema 17 stepper motor (Rated 2.8V & 1.68A). I'm going to be using an Arduino Uno as the microcontroller for a camera slider function with move-shoot-move and continuous move while shooting capability. Any suggestions about stepper motor drivers compatible with my stepper motor?
Thanks

It depends on what you want to do. I wouldnt run the motor past 24 to 30v as the power dissipation becomes quite high (They get real hot).

So that puts the little pololu drivers right where you want them. I used them on the focus controller on my telescope and they are pretty nice, especially for the price. No need to splurge for gecko drives here.

Stick a heat sink on this guy and away you go: http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1182
macona

Postby bdring » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:51 am

I agree with @macona, that is perfect for the Arduino. These are very similar and are a bit of a better design.

http://www.panucatt.com/product_p/sd82b.htm

12V to 24V is best. I usually run those motors at about 1.5A. The motor and driver will stay cool.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby billacat » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:07 am

Thanks for the suggestions @ Macona and dbring. :)
billacat

Postby Kellerkind » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:01 am

Kellerkind

Return to General Discussion