New member intro - 24VDC PSU and control Interface question

General Forum Stuff...Introduce yourself

New member intro - 24VDC PSU and control Interface question

Postby Ischcuch » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:28 pm

I am an engineer in the automotive industry in the UK. I am planning to build the 2.X laser as a hobby and to get to know the CNC control side. Having the laser available to cut small model parts is just a bonus!

I have scoured the build resources and forum but need help on the following topics:

1) What is current rating for the 24VDC Power supply.
2) Where can I buy a made up control interface / control unit?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by Ischcuch on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ischcuch

Re: New member into - 24VDC PSU and control Interface questi

Postby edmond22 » Sat May 11, 2013 7:12 pm

I used a 6.3A 24Vdc power supply on my build, works just fine.

The Interface/Driver board was made in limited numbers by Bart Dring the owner of this forum, he has released the Gerber files for the pcb if you want to build your own one.
The parts list and assembly instructions are also available, I have them if you want me to email them to you along with the pcb Gerber files

I purchased one of Bart's unassembled interface/driver board kits for my build, top notch product.
edmond22

Postby Ischcuch » Sun May 12, 2013 9:17 pm

Thanks for the info Edmond,

I have decided to use a dsp as just the pcb is £150 to make in the UK. I'm sure my electronics knowledge and soldering skills will ruin the first one. The dsp seems an easier route.

Gus
Ischcuch

Postby StigOE » Fri May 17, 2013 9:35 pm

Ischcuch wrote:I have decided to use a dsp as just the pcb is £150 to make in the UK. I'm sure my electronics knowledge and soldering skills will ruin the first one. The dsp seems an easier route.

I take it it is the interface/driver board you're saying is £150 to get made in UK? If so, you would still need a interface/driver board even with a DSP as the DSP doesn't have the drivers built-in. If the only place you have found to make the board charges £150 for the board, you haven't looked good enough. There are many places where you can get the board made a lot cheaper than this, but it may or may not be in UK, but does it really have to be made in UK?

Some places for prototyping/low quantity PCBs with reasonable prices
OSH Park
Batch PCB Edit: Seems BatchPCB has been sold to OSH Park...
Itead Studio
Seeed Studio
StigOE

Postby Ischcuch » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:42 pm

Thanks for the advice StigOE.

I have since acquired a TB6560 3 axis controller and a PLC that I think i can work with. I'm thinking along these lines: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2056#p19873

The "home built" 2.x interface will be an option if this fails.
Ischcuch

Return to General Discussion