Web tool for designing laser cut cases

General Forum Stuff...Introduce yourself

Re: Web tool for designing laser cut cases

Postby JonHollander » Sat May 18, 2013 12:48 am

The files use the same drawing code as the web view, so it looks like a bug to me. What are your case dimensions?

As for the screw holes, they are centered on the thickness of the adjacent panel. The problem is that unless you use very small screws, the screw holes will be cut off by the edge of the panel or only have a very small margin. In my experience, both situations led to cracking.

To get around this, I opted to use open slots to retain the bolts. If you look carefully, you'll notice that every panel includes both male and female t-slots. The male slots prevent the panel from moving perpendicular to the plane. The female slots prevent the panel from moving laterally in the plane. Together, they lock each face in position. The pattern of male and female slots on all of the adjoining faces lock everything in place tightly.
JonHollander

Postby StigOE » Sat May 18, 2013 1:34 pm

JonHollander wrote:The files use the same drawing code as the web view, so it looks like a bug to me. What are your case dimensions?

I just tried with 100mm x 100mm x 40mm to test the function of the program. I don't have any cases I need to make for the time being.

I see what you mean with the slots.
StigOE

Postby TLHarrell » Mon May 20, 2013 4:10 pm

Congrats! You've been featured on Hack a Day. http://hackaday.com/2013/05/19/hackaday-links-sunday-may-19th-2013/
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Postby JonHollander » Mon May 20, 2013 4:20 pm

Nice! Cross that item off my bucket list.
JonHollander

Previous

Return to General Discussion