Web tool for designing laser cut cases

General Forum Stuff...Introduce yourself

Web tool for designing laser cut cases

Postby JonHollander » Wed May 15, 2013 1:51 am

Hello,

I'm a longtime buildlog lurker and have just finished a web tool for designing custom project cases. It runs in a browser (Chrome works best) and you simply specify the case dimensions, material thickness, the type of tabs and slots to connect the panels, and features such as custom text or holes on the sides. The app generates a 3D model of the design that can be edited live in the browser. When the design is complete, the app generates an SVG file that can be sent to a laser cutter or other CNC cutter.

You can check it out at http://www.makercase.com

It's 100% free to use and to download plans. If you find any bugs or make something cool with it, let me know. Hope you like it!

Jon
JonHollander

Re: Web tool for designing laser cut cases

Postby timogiles » Wed May 15, 2013 4:43 pm

Jon,

Nice work! I just started having a look and noticed that 3/16" isn't a material thickness option. A lot of the 1/4" thick material that i use is actually 3/16" when you measure it. Can you add that as an option or make the material thickness a field that you can enter any number in?

Thanks,
Tim
WildCircuits.com
timogiles

Postby TLHarrell » Wed May 15, 2013 4:48 pm

Yes, definitely material thickness adjustment would be good instead of some arbitrary amounts. The acrylic I use mics out at 0.122". Do you have any plans for setting it up for the screw/tab joints?
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Postby JonHollander » Wed May 15, 2013 5:06 pm

Thanks for checking out the app!

You can add a custom material thickness in the app. Just select "Add Custom Thickness" in the material drop-down box and it will ask you for a new thickness value.

For screw-tab joints, do you mean something like this? http://makezineblog.files.wordpress.com ... =600&h=423

If so, just select the "T-slot" button under Edge Type and the app will generate it automatically. It even has values loaded for standard screw sizes. If you meant something different, please let me know.
JonHollander

Postby bdring » Wed May 15, 2013 6:23 pm

That is really cool. I tweeted it and it has already been retweeted a few times.

I can see using the SVG as a starter file to then add button and wire holes.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby JonHollander » Wed May 15, 2013 6:46 pm

Thanks!

If you double-click on a face of the model in the app, you can add holes and text within the app. I'm probably going to revise the app to make that feature clearer. Of course, if you want something more complex or finer control, editing the SVG is the way to go. For my own projects, I tend to do a little bit of both.
JonHollander

Postby edmond22 » Wed May 15, 2013 6:55 pm

Awesome tool, thanks for this, designed my first box now just to finish my machine so I can cut it.
edmond22

Postby TLHarrell » Wed May 15, 2013 8:23 pm

Yeah, that's what I was talking about. Need a way to adjust the location and size on the t-slot to make it fit specific nuts and screw lengths. The T is a little on the short side, leaving very little material to support the nut.

And, any chance of being able to export in .dxf and/or .xps? I use Autocad mostly, but this would significantly speed up work flow. Having to drop to another program to convert from .svg to .dxf would be a minor nuisance.

Good setup though. Far beyond anything I could hope to do.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Postby JonHollander » Fri May 17, 2013 3:57 pm

When you select t-slot edges, there's a dropdown list that appears and lets you select the screw size and length. Changing the screw length will make the "T" part move down. I've included the most common standard and metric screw diameters and lengths, but if there is particular size missing, let me know and I will add it.

.dxf and .xps support are unlikely right now. I haven't found any javascript libraries that implement it, which means I would have to write it myself. However, if enough people demand it, I could be persuaded.

In the meantime, you can use Inkscape or FreeCAD to import svg and convert to dxf (both are free). Inkscape's built-in dxf converter can have issues with AutoCAD. However, there are some Inkscape .dxf export extensions that work well. See http://tim.cexx.org/?p=590 and http://www.bigbluesaw.com/saw/big-blue- ... scape.html
JonHollander

Postby StigOE » Fri May 17, 2013 9:06 pm

Nice program!

I have only looked at the web-version and haven't looked at the files generated, but if the generated files are the same as the visual representation then you have some bugs on the corners when T-slot is selected.
Makercase.jpg

It would also probably be better to use round holes for the screws and center them on the thickness of the material. Again, this is based only on the visual representation on the web, not by looking at the actual files generated... :)

Stig
StigOE

Next

Return to General Discussion