New member intro: Punk + some questions

General Forum Stuff...Introduce yourself

New member intro: Punk + some questions

Postby Punk » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:44 am

Hey,
I am interested in mechatronics and computer science and I am hoping to get into a course in one at some stage. I don't have much experience with constructing electrical or mechanical systems but I enjoy tinkering with things and working out problems. I set myself a few challenges to try to help me learn as much as I can about machines and electronics and thought the 2.x might be worth a try.
I want to keep it as cheap as possible and make as much as I can myself to get the most out of it. I think a smaller unit around 550x450mm would be good, again to keep it cheap and to reduce the chances that I fark something up seriously. I figure I can leave the laser and it's power till last and at least build a frame and working gantry.
Also I am an Australian, in Vic. I have seen a few other Aussie builds here which is encouraging.
What is the upper limit on what a 40 Watt tube can realistically cut? ~5 mm and up plastic sheets or can it cut thin aluminium?

Cheers,
Punk
Punk

Re: New member intro: Punk + some questions

Postby TLHarrell » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:14 pm

The wavelength produced by the 40 watt CO2 laser will bounce off of aluminum, copper, brass, etc. You can cut paper, wood, plastics, engrave on glass, mirrors, stone and anodized aluminum (burns out the dye in the anodizing).
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Return to General Discussion