New user, need build help

General Forum Stuff...Introduce yourself

Re: New user, need build help

Postby Gravatel » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:40 am

Set what up?

No one has given me a list of what I need to buy and it's been over 280 views in 3 weeks :/
Gravatel

Postby cvoinescu » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:33 am

Nobody likes making lists. It's a lot of work, and without actually building the thing, it's hard to know whether the list is correct and complete. (Your views are probably from people like me, who read all new posts daily, regardless of subject.)

Anyway, there can't be a list. Even with a long focus lens, CO2 lasers of the type you can build yourself can't cut thick materials, because of the shape of the beam. 75 mm is out of the question, and even 50 mm is too much.

I can see TLHarrell's image, I'm not sure why you can't.
cvoinescu

Postby Gravatel » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:21 am

Ah I had to go on explorer to see the image.

Yeah I'd like to do stuff like that also.

I had someone try with a laser but they could only cut 20mm before dispersing, and advised he'd need a different lens to do it.

If it requires a long list for a build, is there a build you could recommend or just the laser parts I need?

Thanks
Gravatel

Postby cvoinescu » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:29 am

Gravatel wrote:I had someone try with a laser but they could only cut 20mm before dispersing, and advised he'd need a different lens to do it.

The usual lens in these lasers is 50 mm (or 2") focal length. If that cuts 20 mm, then the longest available lenses (125 mm or maybe 150 mm) will cut no more than 50 mm.
cvoinescu

Postby Gravatel » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:32 am

Then what would I need to cut 75mm please?

Thanks
Gravatel

Postby wmgeorge » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:24 pm

I'm a new guy here, but I think what you are wanting is someone to design and get you a parts list, with drawings... and prices. My research (here) shows its going to take $1,500 to $2,500 to build the version supported on this website.

Do you have the build and electronics skills to do this?

IF not I would look for a commercially sold laser that will do what you want.
Retired guy, Central Iowa US. Master Electrician Hobby Machine and Metal Fab Shop.
wmgeorge

Postby cvoinescu » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:39 pm

Foam is usually cut with hot wire machines. Thickness is not a problem for those -- some can cut 2 m thick foam or more, and even a small machine can cut 100 mm of foam easily.
cvoinescu

Postby wmgeorge » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:59 pm

cvoinescu wrote:Foam is usually cut with hot wire machines. Thickness is not a problem for those -- some can cut 2 m thick foam or more, and even a small machine can cut 100 mm of foam easily.

And if you look at the existing foam cut outs for camera cases and such, they do not appear to have an entry path for the wire. I imagine if you had a single wire, (like spring wire) bent over at the top and then connected at the bottom to the other terminal, you would have a single wire foam cutter.
Retired guy, Central Iowa US. Master Electrician Hobby Machine and Metal Fab Shop.
wmgeorge

Postby Gravatel » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:13 pm

Sorry guys but there are people using laser machine to cut shapes out for warhammer models/trains etc.

I did have a look at some of the builds but I am from the UK.

I also looked into commercial ones but they want over £3k and I'm sure I can build one for under half that.

If someone could point me to a build which would follow that would be great. Also if someone could point me to the laser diode, lens and psu that would be helpful.

Cheers
Gravatel

Postby TLHarrell » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:16 pm

If you'd like someone to test cut your material, contact Full Spectrum. They do have a testing service. They have 5" lenses in stock. Have them test it on one of their larger, higher power machines. At least then you could have a definitive answer on whether a laser will work for you or not.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion