Not new to CNC but to Lasers

General Forum Stuff...Introduce yourself

Not new to CNC but to Lasers

Postby wmgeorge » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:40 pm

Had that and been there done it, retro fitted a CNC mill stepper controls, purchased, used and sold a CNC plasma table, same thing with a CNC router.

Now interested in Laser engraver. First thought was get a K40 off eBay make sure it works with the Moshidraw and then rip out the control system and install a Light Objects control system and use that software. NOW I am finding out the tube and motor PSU may be junk and all I am really getting is a box, some control knobs and meters and maybe a CO2 tube that could last a year, if I am lucky.

That is why I am here. Since I do have a hobby fab and machine shop, I think I will build the frame out of aluminum angle or square tube MIG welded together with a spool gun and the CNC rails and frame out of that aluminum shape material that seems to have the rail track built in. SO Minus the material costs for the frame, what am I looking at bottom line for the motors, electronics, motor and tube PSU cash outlay. Will it do a good job when I am done??? Looking to do 12 x 24 inch max size wood laser imaged signs...

I hate people who come on and ask a bunch of dumb questions, but what I am asking is bottom line cash out the door cost.

PS I did some more searching on here down on the 2.1 build section and find out its more like $2500, instead of the $1500 I thought.
Retired guy, Central Iowa US. Master Electrician Hobby Machine and Metal Fab Shop.
wmgeorge

Re: Not new to CNC but to Lasers

Postby Fred » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:31 pm

If you consider the DC-K40 as a kit of parts then it's great. I went for one which I intended to tweak and then perhaps use it as donor tube and PSU for a 2.x build. The thing about the DC-K40 is that the important bits (tube, PSU, mirrors, lens) all seem fine. It's just the construction and the controller that are awful. So I figured the machanicals / controller effectively cost me very little and I'd have something to play with whilst I got round to my "proper" build.

I ended up ditching Moshi for a ChrisCircuits.com drop-in Mach3 compatible board and making a honeycomb table. Also added some safety cutouts for coolant flow and temperature and an open lid. To be honest I've stopped there for now as it's doing what I need.
Fred

Postby wmgeorge » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:03 pm

Thanks Fred, originally I was planning to do what you did. I like to build and do projects, but its kind of a expensive hobby. Never made a nickel profit on any of the fun stuff listed above. Just need to decide on which route to go.

I guess I would be interested in the Mach III board or boards pre built IF they could use a USB input. I also have a donated USB to Parallel cable that my son gave me, purchased for a job and could not get to work.

I am wondering out loud if the folks who buy the $6000 to $20,000 (or more) laser machines are making any money?
Retired guy, Central Iowa US. Master Electrician Hobby Machine and Metal Fab Shop.
wmgeorge

Postby TLHarrell » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:20 pm

I'm slowly making money with mine. It took a while to find a market where my skills would gain some traction.

I would recommend using Cat5 connection rather than USB, as USB is more subject to interference from the high frequency power used in the lasers.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Postby wmgeorge » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:16 pm

TLHarrell wrote:I'm slowly making money with mine. It took a while to find a market where my skills would gain some traction.

I would recommend using Cat5 connection rather than USB, as USB is more subject to interference from the high frequency power used in the lasers.

Good point about the RF generated on the HV side.. I am a licensed "ham" amateur radio got my ticket back in the 70's where you actually needed to know something about electronics and Morse code to get one. IF I ground everything thing well and remembering what you said, should make a difference.

I had customers for my plasma CNC work, just not enough to make it worthwhile and dealing with the plasma dust was something else. Wood router about the same, customers but the wood shavings did not make it fun. I suppose I could have invested another 2 or 3,000$ more in a dust collection system but I had exhaust fans and a water table.
wmgeorge

Return to General Discussion