3d Laser Engraving?

General Forum Stuff...Introduce yourself

3d Laser Engraving?

Postby cnc74 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:59 pm

All,

I have seen some "sales videos" on Youtube showing a few different laser engraving machines from various manufacturers doing what they are presenting as "3d Engraving". I come from a world where I spent much time and effort working with 3 axis router engravers and related software (Vectirc Cut 3d, Aspire, etc..) and am having a hard time believing that 3d engraving can be achieved on a laser engraver.

Can we do 3d engraving on a Buildlog 2.0? If so with what software? Lastly, can anyone provide a link to more information specific to the topic of 3d engraving using lasers?

Thanks in advance.
cnc74

Re: 3d Laser Engraving?

Postby wmgeorge » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:44 am

I wish I had an answer for you, but I don't think deep 3D laser engraving with these machines is doable. I came from using a 3D router with V-Carve and know what you are talking about. I think some limited 3D engraving in wood or other soft materials is possible but hard to find someone who has done it.
Retired guy, Central Iowa US. Master Electrician Hobby Machine and Metal Fab Shop.
wmgeorge

Re: 3d Laser Engraving?

Postby TLHarrell » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:53 pm

It is possible, but there are a couple issues.

First off is the depth control on a laser is not accurate. Depth of cut depends not just on settings, but on the material density (which can vary a lot in the same part), and many other factors. You cannot simply say "I want to engrave each layer 0.003"." It doesn't work that way. The material may behave differently each time it's hit.

Second is the required time for 3D engraving. I've run tests on a sample size of 2"x2" and it took nearly an hour to run 16 passes. I had to cut off the last couple passes too as with the settings I had, it ended up blowing entirely through the material (1/8" MDF at the time).

Unlike cutting in 3D with a milling or engraving bit, where you know the exact location of the end of that tool, laser engraving is frustrating, inaccurate, and time consuming. I recently purchased a small (24"x24"x5") CNC to complement the laser and make up for these types of shortcomings. The laser I use for 2D cutting where I need very fine geometry or tight inside corners, and for engraving/paint removal for my designs on acrylic. The CNC I use for larger parts removal from sheets, stepped or accurate depth cuts in 2 1/2D parts. I very rarely deal with full 3D stuff.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Return to General Discussion