Is it me or this forum void of any tangible activity?

General Forum Stuff...Introduce yourself

Is it me or this forum void of any tangible activity?

Postby injunear » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:45 am

Is there no interest in the 2.x anymore? If not, why not? Where can you get a laser, even a Chinese model, for around 2k? There must be a reason for the lack of interest here. Please elaborate with your opinions and comments.
I am building a laser 2.x based on Bart's design with some minor mod's such as a slightly larger cutting area and a larger tube (80 watt).
Bob T.
injunear

Re: Is it me or this forum void of any tangible activity?

Postby cvoinescu » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:41 am

I read all new posts daily, and respond when I think I have useful answers. My experience is not with laser cutters, but several knowledgeable people have been active and helping. Focused, technical questions are more likely to get quick answers. There's been a lull in activity over the summer, that's true. The 2.x design is still good and there are people building it; however, would-be builders are hampered by the spotty availability of the machined plastic parts, and especially the cut and bent metal parts. There have been a few offers on the forum. If you can buy or make those, the 2.x design is alive and well.
cvoinescu

Postby rsm5178 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:33 am

I know a few people I sold plates to never had their accounts activated and weren't able to post. There should be ~10 new people gathering parts/fabricating the laser from Alasaka to Florida at the moment.
rsm5178

Postby injunear » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:15 pm

rsm5178 wrote:I know a few people I sold plates to never had their accounts activated and weren't able to post. There should be ~10 new people gathering parts/fabricating the laser from Alasaka to Florida at the moment.

You might recall that I bought plates from you recently (Florida)......I also waited a week or more for my account to be activated and could not post. When I made a donation, via paypal, it was activated shortly thereafter.
Bob T.
injunear

Postby injunear » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:22 pm

cvoinescu wrote:I read all new posts daily, and respond when I think I have useful answers. My experience is not with laser cutters, but several knowledgeable people have been active and helping. Focused, technical questions are more likely to get quick answers. There's been a lull in activity over the summer, that's true. The 2.x design is still good and there are people building it; however, would-be builders are hampered by the spotty availability of the machined plastic parts, and especially the cut and bent metal parts. There have been a few offers on the forum. If you can buy or make those, the 2.x design is alive and well.

I've just made available in the 'for sale' forum an offer to provide the plastic parts. Thus far, no takers.....As for the metal plates, I found two suppliers here on this forum. I bout a set from the above poster. I have to admit it's not as easy as it was to gather up all the 'stuff' necessary to build a 2.x as it was a couple years ago as far as I can tell from old posts here in this forum but a little research and everything can be found. I do think that the 'inventables' site should be prominently posted and referred to for parts in every forum as a 'sticky'.

Bob T.
injunear

Postby leros » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:00 am

There isn't much activity. The board has a lot of information on it. Unfortunately, a lot of it is buried deep in build log posts. There aren't too many posts on here, so you might as well just spend some time and read the entire forum.

I've gotten answers to questions and bought/sold things on this forum, it just takes longer than on a more active forum.

Bart isn't selling kits anymore, but you can get:
metal parts from a member on this forum
non-metal parts and skins CNC'd for you on places like 100kgarages.com
makerslide and related components from inventables.com

It's not unfeasible to build this laser at this point. I've been slowly putting mine together for over a year, but I'm close to being done.

If this sounds toodaunting, here are a few alternatives:
Here is a $1700 DIY laser cutter kit (although it is made out of wood): https://www.buildyourcnc.com/blacktooth ... raver.aspx
You can buy a Full Spectrum laser cutter for $3500 http://fslaser.com/products/lasers/hobb ... s/newhobby
leros

Return to General Discussion