An intro.

General Forum Stuff...Introduce yourself

Re: An intro.

Postby noel_one » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:47 pm

A buddy of mine just said something that left me with a "wha?" moment.
He says. "You're building the laser first so you can make parts for the CNC router and to cut the little boxes. But a CNC machine would cut little boxes better if slower 'cause it won't burn the edges. Besides you'd need less sanding and finishing. And it can make most of your parts for the laser, too. Admit it, you just want a funky laser thing to play with." :o

Shit, busted. Now I have to think about what it would cost/take to build a small CNC machine, instead of a laser. My friend is too frigging smart, some times. :cry:
noel_one

Postby cvoinescu » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:24 pm

Your friend isn't right, or, at least, he or she isn't painting a complete picture. Firstly, there's nothing at all wrong with wanting to play with lasers, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise (but CNC milling machines are plenty of fun too). Secondly, a CNC milling machine has those advantages and more (2.5D and 3D parts!), but also some significant disadvantages compared to a laser: it has a much, much wider kerf, and can't cut sharp inside corners like a laser; and it creates a lot of chips and dust, which are harder to control and get rid of than smoke.

So, I hope I made your decision harder again. You can thank me later. :)
cvoinescu

Postby noel_one » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:19 pm

cvoinescu wrote:Your friend isn't right, or, at least, he or she isn't painting a complete picture. it has a much, much wider kerf, and can't cut sharp inside corners like a laser; and it creates a lot of chips and dust, which are harder to control and get rid of than smoke.

So, I hope I made your decision harder again. You can thank me later. :)

Umm thanks? <G> He has a point though. I already use a router for much of the work. My 'drum spindle machine.' is a a home built unit that holds a post/spindle at a specific angle (for taper) while I am 'rough carving' it via a slot, using a 1 HP router. I turn the spindle by hand as I work. Much of the primary shaping for the finials and plaques are done via pattern carving with a panel router. Dust and chips are something I don't worry about. I have a dust collection system that is very efficient. (5 HP industrial blower and filtration unit) I even have a vacuum table setup for 'clampless' router work. (It was a leftover from an old vacu-forming project.) You can see why he called BS! on my argument for the laser? <G>

I'm still going to build a laser. The question is, do I do it first or, after I have the CNC unit running? I'm going to think on this over 'Santa/Turkey/Giftmas day.' :lol: I've let the family know I'm looking for cash, to 'build a project.' They're used to that from me. ;) That may be the deciding factor. Large cash layouts are _not_ on the table at the moment. Been some house repairs that have pretty much killed the bank account for 'toys,' and, after Yule is a slow time for selling stuff. I've already ordered the bracket hardware for a Buildlog, since I have decided to build one, 'hell or high water.' The order of construction is the only thing I am contemplating.
The CNC unit I have pretty much set my mind on is the 'Shapecoko' It's expandable and, they have a sale on the parts kits right now.
So, best of the season to you. Chat in a few days, I think.
noel_one

Previous

Return to General Discussion