Introduction

General Forum Stuff...Introduce yourself

Introduction

Postby reeser » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:19 am

Hi All;

I just got approved to join the forum today. I have built a CNC router some time ago and am now interested in perhaps building the 2.x Laser. I am in the process of researching
the build at the moment and have found a lot of useful information.
I am retired and am primarily a furniture builder. I build primarily 18th century furniture of the Federal Style.
I have been retired for nearly 20 years and spend most of my time in my shop. I have the full compliment of woodworking tools and some limited metal working tools in addition to my CNC mill.
I'm looking forward to learning from the group. I am brand new to lasers and expect I'll be asking a lot of questions that I will need help with.
I do have one question at the moment. I notice that the MakerSlide store has been down for maintenance since I starting looking around a few days ago. Does anyone know the status of the site? It is my understanding that this is the place to acquire some of the buildlog.net parts listed in the BOM. Any info would be appreciated.
Glad to be joining the group.
Regards
Dick
reeser

Re: Introduction

Postby TLHarrell » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:55 pm

Officially available at www.inventables.com
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Postby reeser » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:55 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure I quite understand your comment. I went to the inventables site but I didn't see much that pertains to parts for the 2.x laser.
My question specifically pertained to the list of parts shown here: http://www.buildlog.net/cnc_laser/store ... _parts.php
If I understood correctly when you click on webstore it redirects you to the MakerSlide store which seems to be down.
Am I not understanding something?

Thanks
Dick
reeser

Postby TLHarrell » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:12 pm

Inventables has the Makerslide, wheels, etc. for sale. Other parts are available here and there through others on this site who have parts batches fabricated, or you need to get the drawings and fabricate your own parts.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Postby reeser » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:23 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have a CNC mill and am happy to fabricate my own parts. Can you tell me if there are any sources for the G code for the various parts? That would save a lot of time now having to redraw and generate G code in my CAD program.

Thanks
Dick
reeser

Postby mattrsch » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:43 am

G-code files: I haven't seen any for the laser parts posted here
3D models: send a pm to bdring on this forum, that's how I got mine.
mattrsch

Postby sshwarts » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:22 pm

I got most (if not all) the STL files from Bart's original STEP files which you can download as part of the docs package. From the step files it's easy to generate STLs for 3D pritning or other format for routing. I have some of the files as well as my related designs on my github which you are welcome to: github.com/sshwarts/2.xLaser

Scott
sshwarts

Postby injunear » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:49 am

I made all my parts by simply using Bart's DWG's (or were they in another format, don't recall) and I generated my own G-code using Cut 2D. In that way I was able to tweak his design(s) as necessary to fit my needs. By reading many of the threads in this forum I found that there was a problem with bearings rotating in the cavities of some, or possibly all of the brackets and so I modified the design of the brackets, those that use bearings, to undersize the cavity to provide an 'interference' fit that eliminates the need for folks to use super glue to stop the loose bearing body from spinning in the cavity.

All the other parts, wheels, idler pulley's, etc. are available from inventables.com. Just be aware that all the single bearing drawings on this site have been superseded by the double bearing designs. The mirrors, and other optical 'stuff' I got from lightobject.com. The power supplies, 24V and laser HV supply I got from ebay as my RECI 80 watt laser tube.

Bob T.
injunear

Return to General Discussion