Australia

CNC/Laser Related Items Only Please

Australia

Postby joskerel » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:30 am

Hello,

I'm in the process off finding out how i'm gonna build my laser.
And i keep on getting the same 2 results in finding supplies,
1 asia is cheap thill they hit you in the face with transport costs,
2 makerslide and others don't wanna/can't ship to australia.
3 google searches for american companies before australian making it hard to find em (or so i experience it)
So if you know companies in australia that can help me get everything at a normal price that would be awesome

Cheers Hans
joskerel

Re: Australia

Postby dwjp » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:50 am

G'day Hans,

I'm in the same boat.

Makerslide can be shipped to Australia, but you'll have to use a shipment forwarding service due to the length (and even then, only the 1.2m lengths). Bart has just sent me a 2.x kit plus some other bits and pieces -- again I used a forwarding service, but the option was there to ship directly to Australia.

SDP-SI will ship to Australia at very fair rates, as will digikey/mouser. Steppers and power supplies can be sourced from Asia cheaply. McMaster Carr won't ship to Australia, which is a pain, but all the fasteners and so fourth can be found locally.

Misumi will ship to Australia (from their Singapore office). Their shipping prices are very reasonable, and their extrusion is cheap compared to local prices. The only stumbling block is that you need to set up an account, and they only accept wire transfer payment (which has a $20-30 fee attached). Still, I've managed to jump those hoops so will be placing an order shortly.

Anything in particular you're having trouble finding?
dwjp

Postby joskerel » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:28 am

G'day dwjp

Thanks for the info
That helped me out a lot already,
I'm not looking for something in particular.
The fact thad i can get the makerslide over here is great (a good timesaver)
but before i actually start buying i want to have the final price tag in front of me,
and know thad there is always a visit from Murphy so i'll ad an extra 500 dollar.

Where in australia are you based?
I'm in maroubra Sydeny.
joskerel

Postby dwjp » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:53 pm

Glad I could help. I live in Melbourne, though soon to move more towards central Victoria.

Yes, I don't expect it to be cheap, but I think $500 above what Bart estimated (so maybe around the $2-2.5k mark) is a reasonable contingency. Still excellent value given the alternatives, however (especially for something I can readily maintain and upgrade myself).

It'll be a couple of months until I finish it, but I'll try and keep track of what I spend along the way. Mine is intended for business use, and so I'll be keep track of receipts, although I've ordered some spare material along the way so it will still only be approximate.
dwjp

Postby tachyio » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:23 pm

Hi Guys,

I live in Singapore, and I want Makerslide too. The good news is that my Uncle who lives in Malaysia has a aluminium extrusion machine which he can retool to make Makerslide Extrusions...I've also passed him the schematics for the v-wheels, eccentric spacer and carriage assembly. I'm now trying to source for bearings and bolts/nuts for use with the sliding carriage.

If you're interested let me know, it will be easier if I can send him a large order to reduce retooling/manufacturing costs =)

Thanks Guys...oh and if demand is good, I'll consider setting up a small Shopify store to process orders.
tachyio

Postby dwjp » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:48 pm

Thanks for the offer, but the problem is the maximum shipping length limit imposed by Australia Post (1m), so it doesn't really matter where the extrusion comes from. The only way around it is (a) use a courier like Fedex/DHL/UPS ($$$) or (b) ship a bunch by sea to Australia, and then use a domestic courier company to deliver.
dwjp

Postby colin » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:43 pm

Inventables is switching to new sizes of MakerSlide. The next batch will include 1m lengths which we'll be able to send all over the world via USPS. :D

Those will be available in the coming weeks. I'll post here once I have an estimated date from the extruder.
colin

Postby butterfingers » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:04 pm

colin wrote:Inventables is switching to new sizes of MakerSlide. The next batch will include 1m lengths which we'll be able to send all over the world via USPS. :D

Those will be available in the coming weeks. I'll post here once I have an estimated date from the extruder.

Will you be able to ship longer lengths than that? For camera slides, 1m is OK, but 1.5 or 2m is better.
butterfingers

Postby tachyio » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:47 am

Damn that's problematic!

Yes I was wondering how to ship something >1m easily.

I could send some to my friends in Malaysia/Singapore by truck. But Aussie would be a little difficult to send a long one, unless its chopped-up.

dwjp wrote:Thanks for the offer, but the problem is the maximum shipping length limit imposed by Australia Post (1m), so it doesn't really matter where the extrusion comes from. The only way around it is (a) use a courier like Fedex/DHL/UPS ($$$) or (b) ship a bunch by sea to Australia, and then use a domestic courier company to deliver.
tachyio

Postby dwjp » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:35 am

colin wrote:Inventables is switching to new sizes of MakerSlide. The next batch will include 1m lengths which we'll be able to send all over the world via USPS. :D

Awesome. Shame I did things the hard way. Hazard of being an early adopter, I guess.

Out of curiosity, has anyone else in Australia built a stock 2.x laser? I've managed to order almost everything now, except the laser tube, power supply, skins, and exhaust blower.
dwjp

Next

Return to For Sale and Wanted