S600-48V 12.5A With Second Rail That's Adjustable!

CNC/Laser Related Items Only Please

S600-48V 12.5A With Second Rail That's Adjustable!

Postby storm2313 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:11 pm

This makes powering your CNC a joke. You have the 48v rail to supply power to your controller, and steppers. Then you have a second rail that adjusts from 1.8v-25v with a max current draw of 3 amps. This takes care of all the little compnents you sooner or later find out your require without having to buy another power supply. It has a built in voltmeter for the second rail to reflect its voltage in a glance.

Simple and very effective. The price is EXCELLENT.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=141047698534&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT
storm2313

Re: S600-48V 12.5A With Second Rail That's Adjustable!

Postby rickmellor » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:03 am

Interesting, but looks like a hack. For my TinyG build I used a MW PID-250B ... 24v + 5v. Works great and was simple to house.

http://www.meanwell.com/search/pid-250/default.htm
rickmellor

Postby storm2313 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:00 pm

The unit makes a one time investment more usable. You can opt to buy multiple power supplies, but then you have more wiring and more confusion inside what are typically small enclosures. This unit was engineered to make a CNC power supply more user friendly, and it achieves that. It has positions for 8 individual hookups on the second rail. The capacitors for the regulator are rated to 50v as well which are way beyond most controllers threshhold.

The unit you posted has 2 voltages supported. This power supply can support 1.8v to 25v with the turn of the pot on the second rail. The unit you posted also is valued at around $100-125 online. This power supply is rated at 12.5a and 48v, and with the extra rail that's adjustable your essentially looking at 25 power supplies in one with digital voltmeter to make changing the voltages all too easy for $160.85 shipped. :shock:

The unit works perfectly as designed, and to be honest 90% of all CNC components start as a hack. If you choose to spend more money on another power supply for lower rated voltage components don't forget to add in wiring, extra heat from the unit, and most of all the extra space required. Here's another viable point If you buy one power supply rated at a certain voltage anytime you add a component rated at a lower required rating you have to buy another unit, or step down.It truly doesn't make sense in the long run.The value of this unit is reflected quite quickly in that all bases are covered from the start.

This is a clean solution for someone wanting simplicity, ease of servicing, and te ability to change the voltage on the fly to support any component.
storm2313

Postby cvoinescu » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:20 am

I'm sorry, but I agree with rickmellor here. That's really a single-rail 48 V power supply with a step-down DC-DC converter and a digital voltmeter tacked on. I'd rather buy them as separates and save money, not to mention I would not have to deal with awkward protrusions on my otherwise neatly cuboid power supply. I also think that the voltmeter is redundant: you set the DC-DC converter output voltage once, and then you no longer need it. Everyone building CNC electronics is expected to own a multimeter, so having a dedicated voltmeter illuminating the inside of your enclosure is a waste of parts.
cvoinescu

Postby storm2313 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:29 pm

Once again a reply that's interesting. your opinion on what you like to purchase is your own. Your correct the power supply is one rail with a second rail added via voltage stepdown regulator as stated in the listing. I don't understand the two points you are trying to make.

1st one is the price on this unit with the voltage regulator, and components to include the second rail feature with the 48v 12.5a power supply is $160.85 shipped. You explained you would save money? How is that? The typical power supply with those specs sells alone for $150+??

2nd point you talked about was the voltmeter is redundant. I like many others would rather be able to review my second rail instantly then have to grab a voltmeter any time I want to instigate a change. It's as simple as watching the voltage change when I turn the pot screw to adjust a new voltage requirement.

I like your opinion on the looks of the power supply as well. Funny thing is when mine are installed in the enclosure you can't see it. :lol: You must mount yours differently.

The interesting thing is the complete set with the voltmeter, stepdown regulator, and terminal block rail, and power supply are sold for less than power supplies without them that have the same current ratings. (48v 12.5a)
storm2313

Postby cvoinescu » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:43 pm

I can buy the same exact Minsen S-600-48 power supply for well under $100 delivered, and an adjustable 3 A DC-DC converter for a few bucks; ditto for the voltmeter, and pennies for the connector strip. How am I not saving money?

Don't get me wrong, I don't object to importing items from China, marking them up, and selling them. Sometimes I'm willing to pay extra to get something in two days rather than two weeks or two months, or to get one when the Chinese sell only boxes of ten, or for the fact that you've invested time and money in finding a supplier of decent quality stuff, and are presumably offering some form of local warranty and support. Just don't tell me the price is EXCELLENT -- when I see that, I always assume I'm having the wool pulled over my eyes, and I go verify. :)

I use a DC-DC converter in my setup too. I don't know about other people, but I don't decide to run my electronics at different voltages every day. I don't get out of bed every morning with an urge to "instigate a change" in the supply voltage of my stuff. I set my converter once (to 12 V, to power some fans and another device), and haven't touched it since. It seems very unlikely that anyone will need to adjust that voltage often enough to justify a permanently connected voltmeter, and on the rare occasions they do, having to use a multimeter is hardly a chore. Hence, my assertion that the voltmeter was redundant.

I don't care too much about what my PSU looks like. I care about the inconvenience of it having an awkward shape, with the converter tacked on, making it more difficult to house. I was wrong about that point, though -- I had missed the part where it was attached with magnets. Not that I approve of securing electrical stuff by magnets alone, but my concern about being stuck with the awkward shape was unfounded. So I take that back.
cvoinescu

Return to For Sale and Wanted